1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

This is why I've been on the lookout for linen or hemp undershirts and even briefs. :embar:

2. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

The mind boggles! [​IMG]

3. TRINI

TRINI Distinguished Member

Ignore.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013

4. gopherblue

gopherblue Senior Member

What about the 511 grey as a blazersuit? I just bought 4 meters and I'm planning on doing one. I suspect I'd rarely, if ever, wear the jacket separately, but I like the Minnis Fresco as a casual suit with patch pockets rather than flap pockets, and the blazersuit seems to fit the bill.

5. naviC

naviC Active Member

exactly what I was thinking... I have a few odd navy trousers and am quite clueless how to pair them with a jacket so I thought the 0500 or 0511 might fit the bill. Would love a thicker chalkstripe windowpane (reference to 0570), but can't see that thin windowpane making it out as an odd jacket.

6. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Distinguished Member

Just sent you a PM @TRINI

7. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Distinguished Member

8. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Distinguished Member

FYI - for those that care, this is a Del Fino from their double-faced collection.

9. bertie

bertie Senior Member

About 10 years ago I was based in HK and was going to a business meeting in Singapore with the Minister of defense. I asked the dress code and the office manager for our SIngapore office told me NO JACKET - it made you look like an out-of-towner. Sure enough, met with the MoD and he was in short sleeves, no tie and no jacket. Solved the cloth choice dilemma for those visits. HK still required suit and tie though, no matter how hot.

Things may have changed since then.

10. KyleT

KyleT New Member

Minnis Fresco 0500 which runs cooler than a 0511.

Anybody has experience with Dugdales New Fine Worsted's? (you can get them from their online shop) How hot or cool they wear, drape, touch etc.

11. RogerC

RogerC Distinguished Member

Vox had one made at Steed. Click.

12. naviC

naviC Active Member

I would say Singapore has changed a fair bit since... At least for the context I have seen, it's arctic indoors, but once you step outdoors....

think a linen / cotton summer weave shirt + undershirt is absolutely necessary there

13. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I'm not sure I feel any insecurity at being seen as an "out-of-towner". I've not done business in Singapore, but I've seen elsewhere with Malaysians, and in Taiwan, a similar dynamic. Certainly, a short sleeved shirt and no tie seem quite normal as business dress. What's more, perversely perhaps, is that it seems to be the junior ranks who wear a tie. I was even told in Malaysia that it was a sign of confidence for the senior management to dress more casually, and the accounts assistants and salesmen were the only ones who wore ties.

However, I'm not Malay or Taiwanese, and being an Englishman in a suit and tie seems to fit a very neat stereotype in every country I've visited. And even if the other side of the table are dressed like factory supervisors, I can say with complete conviction that one is always better treated and taken more seriously when looking fabulous. :)

On a separate but related point: seersucker for suits. Any expert thoughts, sources or suggestions? I'm sick of crumpled linen and am thinking of going in this direction for the hotter months. All guidance is appreciated.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013

14. mactire

mactire Senior Member

It certainly seems to be a trend that upper ranks in very many organisations especially in the US dress appallingly with some of the logic perhaps being that they are so assured they don't have to try or more importantly appear to try. A recent interview of Jack Bezos with Charlie Rose as well as Amazon VP in jeans and a tshirt springs to mind. A local billionaire knew of was renowned for his meanness and wearing the same jumper for 30 years [sweater to those in the US].

Originally Posted by mimo [​IMG]

However, I'm not Malay or Taiwanese, and being an Englishman in a suit and tie seems to fit a very neat stereotype in every country I've visited. And even if the other side of the table are dressed like factory supervisors, I can say with complete conviction that one is always better treated and taken more seriously when looking fabulous. :)

On a separate but related point: seersucker for suits. Any expert thoughts, sources or suggestions? I'm sick of crumpled linen and am thinking of going in this direction for the hotter months. All guidance is appreciated.
    [/QUOTE]

Seersucker on a cut length basis is hard to find. Monsieur Xu of this parish was organising a buy through Holland & Sherry of a cotton/lycra seersucker if you're interested.

15. coolpapa

coolpapa Distinguished Member

I have this also and it is rather bold, so if that's not your thing, I'd steer clear.