• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

if you're going to get B&W donegal, make sure it has some heather in it.

Suggestions? I haven't had a look at the W. Bill tweeds because i don't have access to them.

mattcritchlow

Reaction score
Matt - would be very interested in seeing those Molloy swatches. I just sent them off an email requesting some myself. I'm interested in Pattern #0701 07

Trini,

Will do, I'm fairly certain that I have that swatch. Traveling for work at the moment, but should be able to get you a pic later this week.

Matt

Slickman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay I've narrowed Fox's samples down to three shades, A is more yellow based, B is more orange, C is more red (the original cloth I posted a photo of earlier). Let me know what you guys think. I am leaning towards C and perhaps A as a second run if anyone is interested, but they're all great. Please voice your opinion if you are interested in being a part of this one. The weight will be 17oz for those who missed that earlier.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

if you're going to get B&W donegal, make sure it has some heather in it.

The swatch Trini posted is pretty interesting already. Do you really think it would be better with bits of red / blue / green?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Okay I've narrowed Fox's samples down to three shades, A is more yellow based, B is more orange, C is more red (the original cloth I posted a photo of earlier). Let me know what you guys think. I am leaning towards C and perhaps A as a second run if anyone is interested, but they're all great. Please voice your opinion if you are interested in being a part of this one. The weight will be 17oz for those who missed that earlier.

They're all a little off-center, but I could envision C or A as a decent set of odd trousers--- to go with a sweater or midnight blazer, not a tweed.

mactire

Reaction score
BTW Molloy will do custom runs @ 60m if there are interested parties out there.

Looking forward to the swatch thread, and would be able to post on my own books to someone with a decent camera set-up.

bertie

Reaction score

Prefer C - in for 5 m

Dib

Reaction score
tchoy, Marcodalondra - thanks for the suggestions, i will check those out!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
An update: we've hit a bit over 60m for the brown Fresco! So it looks like it'll likely get run.

I'm in touch with HFW right now to get details, and to work with them on producing a swatch. The next steps are: 1) get a hard price quote (I won't be taking any profit, so it'll just be whatever they charge), 2) get info on production time, 3) get a swatch produced, and finally 4) get hard commitments.

Ideally, I'd like to have people pay HFW for their lengths before the fabric is actually produced, but will be in touch with people about that. Since I'm not taking any profit, I don't want to be stuck with an extra 3 or 5m if someone pulls out. But I'm happy to do what's best for everyone involved.

P-K-L

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

C, 3m.

Slickman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The closet shade to what I was going for is the Minnis, labeled D below. I am in talks with Fox to see if they can replicate but with depth of color in their own flannels. Minnis cannot do their shade with the flecks of color that make these heavy weight flannels so special unless we place a very large order. So our current options would be to do a run of i) the "flat" minnis tobacco flannel labeled D, ii) shade C of the fox flannel, or iii) fox's iteration of the minnis shade with some more character (waiting to hear back from them on this one)

Photo Color Key:
A - Yellow based Fox
B - Orange based Fox
C - Red based Fox
D - Tobacco Minnis
E - WBill Tobacco Linen #60154

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the color D with the twill texture of B would be pretty awesome.

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
D is easily the best of the lot.

I assume these are for flannel sportcoats? Or are you guys envisioning full tobacco brown flannel suits?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads