• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I've got a suit of the lesser 13 navy herringbone ... from 2001. Still going strong.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, thanks for the suggestions, but I'm looking specifically for a tweed. I agree the worsted in the Lesser 13 oz. book is very nice.

EDIT: GC, the Lovat samples look very promising, thanks. I'm ordering some swatches.

Last edited:

mactire

Reaction score
Gents - just throwing a concept out there but I'd like to start a swatch bank (both image and physical) to be stickied in this thread. We all probably have a bunch of them lying around from planned or considered commissions and I think it'd be useful to have those handy for others - especially those who don't have ready access to various books at their tailors.

Any objections?

Hear hear, I have a few books myself and would be eager to participate or post what I have to someone with the know-how to take true images.

Anyone have a hookup for Albini / Thomas Mason or Alumo shirtings?

PM sent

Victor Elfo

Reaction score
Last edited:

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one of them. Nice stuff but nothing, in terms of quality, that you can't find elsewhere.

As you said, some great patterns.

CrimsonSox

Reaction score
Adolphe Menjou on quality cloth:

Quote:

Last edited:

Dib

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy some fabric to have some staple chinos made up in various colours (tan, khaki, blue etc). The Holland & Sherry cotton classics book seems to have a good range in terms of colours and weights - does anyone have any experience with its quality and how it holds up?

Alternatively, anyone have any suggestions for any alternative books I should be looking at from any of the other merchants?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Adolphe Menjou on quality cloth:
The pianist Gary Graffman told a similar story about ordering a set of tails at Hawes & Curtis. The salesman noted that Nathan Milstein had just ordered a suit from the same bolt.

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm looking to buy some fabric to have some staple chinos made up in various colours (tan, khaki, blue etc). ....

Alternatively, anyone have any suggestions for any alternative books I should be looking at from any of the other merchants?
I have had three Chinos made in Brisbane Moss Cotton Drill last summer and have the fabric for two more to be made. I cannot think of anything better, and my trousermaker was also impressed.

Edit: Link: http://www.styleforum.net/t/357393/neapolitan-bespoke-chinos

Last edited:

tchoy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm looking to buy some fabric to have some staple chinos made up in various colours (tan, khaki, blue etc). The Holland & Sherry cotton classics book seems to have a good range in terms of colours and weights - does anyone have any experience with its quality and how it holds up?

Have a look at the Harrison Mersolair, I have made up a few pairs of cotton trousers from this book, nice stuff.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Great idea. I have some Molloy & Sons Donegal swatches from a recent commission that I'd be happy to contribute to this. 

Interesting idea.I have 80 percent of all Harrisons and H lesser swatch books,most of The Drapers books and also all the Bateman Ogden books.Let me know what you guys want;will also be getting some new stuff from another brand too.

Hear hear, I have a few books myself and would be eager to participate or post what I have to someone with the know-how to take true images.

Cheers, gents.

I'll probably start a separate thread with a draft post posted here first to demonstrate what I had in mind.

Matt - would be very interested in seeing those Molloy swatches. I just sent them off an email requesting some myself. I'm interested in Pattern #0701 07

6792094297_16f1cacf34.jpg

because of its resemblance to this:

5513427301_e59a1bcea4_b.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
if you're going to get B&W donegal, make sure it has some heather in it.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads