1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

8-9oz tropical. Great book, I have a mid-blue from it that has held up very well for five years now.

2. fassbinder

fassbinder Senior member

thanks

3. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

[​IMG]

Would anyone happen to know this fabric?

4. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

Anyone familiar with this Yorkshire maker? I love the look of it. this mohair is around 8-9 oz, curious to know where in the formality spectrum a standard 2B SB would be in this cloth

[​IMG]

5. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

@Grammaton Cleric
    @archibaldleach
    @dieworkwear
    @Odd I/O
    @bertie
    @fassbinder
    @zbromer
    @DavidLane
    @gdl203
    @jerrybrowne

OK guys - sorry for the delays on this flannel project. It turns out Fox couldn't weave the color we liked on the earlier samples as a heavier woolen, only as an 11 oz worsted. They've gotten back to us with this yarn, which they can make up as a heavy woolen. It's a touch less brown than the earlier swatch, but I think very nice. Let me know what you think. If you're interested you can also PM me or email david@nomanwalksalone.com.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  6. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Is it possible to get a sample swatch from them? If it's hard to tell what a cloth might look like from a swatch, and that process is complicated by photographs and online representations, I feel like it's near impossible to tell from a few pieces of yarns twisted together. As is, I admit, the color looks too "creamy" to me.

7. unbelragazzo

We will definitely ask about getting a swatch. Fox has been very cooperative and helpful, so I think there's a good chance this could be done. But if it's an extra step in production we might as well look at yarns first and start with something that looks auspicious.

It's creamy, but a touch more brown than that. Here are a couple of pics on top of the LL oats jacketing, which is itself kind of a natural linen color. I'd say the yarn is a shade browner

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Hm, I like that, in this context. The oats linen color already seems like a good color for trousers (even if a bit seasonal), and this flannel being a touch darker and browner seems like it would be more versatile.

9. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

Halstead is a very well respected producer of mohair cloth; it's usually best to see a swatch in person as the mohair content and the finishing will both determine how much of a sheen the finished cloth has. In my view so long as the sheen is minor then in that colour it will be a pretty formal / conservative suit and appropriate for office wear but also transition into evening wear at a bar / for cocktails.

10. unbelragazzo

I agree, the oats color would be outstanding for trousers. I'm not sure if the fabric being built as jacketing means that you couldn't use it for trousers. Dove might be the closest thing to it among the LL suitings. Maybe we could get Solbiati to do something for us in that kind of color but intended for trousers.

11. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Senior member

Thanks, David - looks interesting but I'd appreciate an opportunity to review a swatch as well.

12. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

I would definitely be in for a length made of that yarn. I like the creaminess.

13. unbelragazzo

Thanks for checking in guys - it would be good to get input from as many people as possible who might be interested in ordering the cloth once it's made up, so please either post here or contact me via PM or email if you think you might be interested.

14. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

I'm in the same boat. Still interested, but would like to see a swatch. Thanks for the organization on this.

15. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Crossed a green barleycorn off my SC "to acquire" list with this RTW Partenopea. No bespoke commission needed! :slayer:

Could be the best purchase of the year so far for me

No idea about the provenance of the fabric. Probably came from Kiton or something Italian

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  16. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Inspiration

Will look great with a black knit and tan or grey pants

@emptym

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

18. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

That would be great.

19. bertie

bertie Senior member

Unbel - still interested so please keep me on your list for brown(ish) fabric. Nice to see swatch if possible.

bertie

1 person likes this.
  20. conradwu

conradwu Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Hi David - I'm interested.

1 person likes this.