• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mactire

Reaction score
Attempting to revive a cloth project from last year, looking to do a tobacco shade of brown in 17oz flannel, have been in talks with minnis and fox and they say it is quite doable. Still waiting on a cloth sample from each, but it seems promising, hopefully it can be done without a problem this time around. If anyone is interested, the minimum is 60m with minnis and comes out to around 35 pounds/m, which is very reasonable. Still waiting on word from fox about their minimum and price, will keep those interested in the loop.

Some other woollen weavers will make at 30m and 40m as well.

terrorsquad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well if its the Perennial VBC, its only around USD30 plus a meter if im not mistaken;bought a few lengths for working trousers.

XFactor

Reaction score
Well if its the Perennial VBC, its only around USD30 plus a meter if im not mistaken;bought a few lengths for working trousers.
How and where can I find decent SUIT FABRIC that sells for something like that? What would be decent 100% Worsted Wool fabric around 30 GBP (little less or more).

Ideally I'd like to go for J J Minnis Fresco (from all the Summer suit fabric knowledge I've read). But they are higher priced at 60+ GBP. So, before I go there, I'd like to TRY OUT these tailors and see how they do.. Once I can rely on the tailor and depend on them and KNOW my FIT better, I'll go for the Fresco and more.

So any thoughts on the following (if the question above was too wide):
- 100% Worsted Wool
- Business / Formal (From my reading a Solids based non patterned suit is always safer, more formal, interview friendly and can go with more shirts etc than certain patterns/ pin strips etc. - So suggest the conservative variety)
- Charcoal/ Dark or Mid Gray - Navy (I already have a RTW navy so prefer the given shade)

So using the above, please point me (link if possible) to SPECIFIC fabrics from specific mill/ merchant/ marketer that is
- Good Value for Money at the lower end of Good worsted fabrics.

I do not need this first tailor made suit to be fancy. Should work for interviews and client meetings (as formal as possible).

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Your chosen tailor may have a special on some in-house fabric. Might be dreary, orphaned stuff, but at least you'll then be negotiating the price of the finished good, not the components. Otherwise, a cheaper fabric might not save you a lot. Very few of the Savile Row crowd, for example, price lower for using fabric other than standard Lesser.

Last edited:

Victor Elfo

Reaction score
Concordia, if you would compromise on one of those (handcraft or cloth) which would you choose? Assuming that you do get what you pay for.

Last edited:

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You're doing R&D on a tailor, right? So do what it takes to find the best tailor you're likely to be able to afford. I say that as someone who hates wearing clothes that aren't cut right. Cloth is a nice bonus, but if it doesn't fit or feel right, I won't wear it-- and that is a very expensive problem.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're doing R&D on a tailor, right? So do what it takes to find the best tailor you're likely to be able to afford. I say that as someone who hates wearing clothes that aren't cut right. Cloth is a nice bonus, but if it doesn't fit or feel right, I won't wear it-- and that is a very expensive problem.

Wise words...the two really do go hand in hand.

Victor Elfo

Reaction score
I'm sorry I don't know what "R&D" stands for. However, if I understood your point correctly, you're saying that fit is more important, but once you pay big money for a suit you better spend some more with a good cloth as well, right? If so, I share your opinion.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
R&D: research and development

I think his point is that he wants to minimize expense for a first commission with an unproven tailor, but if the first suit turns out well, he'll invest more in the fabric for future commissions.

Victor Elfo

Reaction score
I see, thanks, SB. I'm not sure if that's his point, but that's a good insight as well. Expenses are always a concern, at least for those who are not graced by the capitalism, but I'd also be concerned to give a rare cloth to a new tailor, as loosing it would cost me more than its nominal value, that's why many advise to make a first purchase in standard cloths (hopsack, for example).
I'm not doing R&D on a tailor at the moment, Concordia. Fortunately, I've established a good relationship with my tailor and I'm more than willing to give him expensive (for my own standards) and rare cloths.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I'm not doing R&D on a tailor at the moment, Concordia. Fortunately, I've established a good relationship with my tailor and I'm more than willing to give him expensive (for my own standards) and rare cloths.
I'm sorry-- I mistakenly thought you were XFactor when I replied.

Last edited:

Victor Elfo

Reaction score
Don't worry, the conversation was insightful and pleasant.
smile.gif

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How and where can I find decent SUIT FABRIC that sells for something like that? What would be decent 100% Worsted Wool fabric around 30 GBP (little less or more).

Ideally I'd like to go for J J Minnis Fresco (from all the Summer suit fabric knowledge I've read). But they are higher priced at 60+ GBP. So, before I go there, I'd like to TRY OUT these tailors and see how they do.. Once I can rely on the tailor and depend on them and KNOW my FIT better, I'll go for the Fresco and more. 

There are quite a few sellers on eBay who are reputable and who sell lengths of English cloth, so you could keep an eye out there.

Alternatively, have a look at the Huddersfield Cloth website (huddersfieldcloth.com) and sign up for their "cloth offer" e-mails, where they sell lengths of cloth for GBP20 per metre.

Some of the cloths in the cloth offer e-mails are awful, but some are fantastic - I picked up some classic grey nailhead cloth a month or two back that I'm having made up into a suit. You can see some of the "cloth offer" specials on their Facebook page here:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Huddersfield-Cloth/184997944876377?sk=photos_stream

Huddersfield Cloth are not weavers - they are merchants or re-sellers (so are not to be confused with Huddersfield Fine Worsteds, for example).

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads