1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Another option. I'm really hesistant to use this one because I'd feel bad about asking Greg (gdl203) to do this at cost when Reid & Taylor is the one profiting off the sale of the fabric.

@gdl203 has generously offered to donate NMWA's domestic order fulfillment capabilities to the cause. They could set up a product page on the site to gather the orders and payment, leave it open for a few days and then close it out and send the lengths to the mill. We'd have to factor in a little bit of $$$, but NMWA would basically be doing it at cost.

This would only be for domestic US orders. International orders are very tricky to fulfill (customs, insurance, etc)

Amen.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. bertie

bertie Senior member

I'm sure you're right about the fear of cannabilizing their normal distribution model.. I would say though that it seems to be to be quite short-sighted. The internet has changed many things and that includes both retail models and, maybe more importantly, information about things. In the past, the reps you mention were both the source of th fabric and the source for information about the fabric. Now that information is available to anyone with internet access. This then creates a demand for the product outside of the traditional distribution channels. I have access to one, maybe two tailors. Neither carries Reid. Even if they did, neither would request a custom run of a fabric bcause they don't want 60m of it.

What we are trying to do would significantly expand Reid's exposure (it already has to some extent - I had not heard of them before this run was proposed) and provide a new revenue source that was previously unavailable. The smart play would be to allow custom runs to retail custoers but keep them apart for normal distribution to ensure that the reps don;t feel direct competition (or use them as a test bed for new fabrics). If the fabric is good and prices are good - people will seek out the regular products lines. If this falls through I, for one, would not go to that trouble.

2 people like this.
  3. AdamWill

AdamWill Senior member

Sorry, wasn't asking for myself, just making a suggestion for the group buy.

4. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

I'm not interested in this particular fabric or this latest episode, but I had been pondering this idea for some time. I would pay cold hard cash if NMWA continued expanding its "benchmade to measure/MTO programs/hybrid fusion of RTW e-shopping with bespoke sensibilities" setup and offered unique fabric runs that didn't compete with or cannibalize their existing lineup of Formosa/Rota/etc. This could be rolled into the Formosa visits for some, while others could just buy the cloth for their own use. I would love to be able to click and order both a leather jacket and a length of flannel in one shot. It would be a welcome antidote to the LL formula of arcane secret handshakes, chummy exclusivity, and tedious order process.

2 people like this.
  5. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Is the Minnis flannel worsted or woolen?

6. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Worsted, technically.

7. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

The Collective Action page on NMWA has been in stealth mode for the last few months.... http://www.nomanwalksalone.com/index.php/collective-action/

This barleycorn project won't be a part of it though

8. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Does this look worsted to you?

1 person likes this.
  9. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Sorry. I read it as Fresco which is worsted. The Minnis Flannel is both worsted and woollen I believe depending on the specific fabric. Tough to saw there, but might lean towards woollen. Regardless, I usually prefer woollen as it has a more classic flannel vibe.

1 person likes this.
  10. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

hmmm.. someone should tweet vox

11. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

12. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Same question on this. Who makes a herringbone linen?

[​IMG]

13. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

I was thinking of a jacket in this color, similar

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  14. mactire

mactire Senior member

Don't forget the 200% mark-up on cut-length prices for the perceived exclusivity of what are/were stock offerings.

15. Wallcloud

Wallcloud Senior member

If Greg can get this cut for us that would be pretty cool

16. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Happy to do the payment processing, fulfillment, dispatch, etc... but I won't cut. So I'll do it as long as the mill ships us the cut lengths as per a schedule that jrd send them

1 person likes this.
  17. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Do you have more recent news on Reid & Taylor? Best I could find was from about a year ago.

The BBC has a short snippet :
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-22270268

There is this from itv

http://www.itv.com/news/border/story/2013-04-23/scottish-borders-textile-mill-enters-administration/

18. Sotiris

Sotiris Senior member

And if Greg can do all the payments, fulfillment, etc but B&T still balks, maybe we can compromise by making each length a fixed 2.5M that they would cut and send to Greg?

Not sure if a fixed length would make it seem more manageable on their end?

19. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

20. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

People really underestimate this. I've been working with HFW on a brown Fresco re-run, and it's been taking forever. In addition to me trying to get the right mixture and color (which is surprisingly difficult), there have been delays in communication and me having to wait for numerous samples to be run. It's a lot more work than I anticipated, and I don't think I'll be doing it again.

(That said, I think we're close, and I'll be posting here when the run is ready).