1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

completely up to you. but don't dawdle. this order is going in soon.

2. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Any tips to keeping/storing cloth that won't be used for a while?

3. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

I just bought a big plastic bin from container store to keep mine in

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  4. mattcritchlow

mattcritchlow Well-Known Member

5. Classic Car

Classic Car Senior member

I had seen the swatch samples of Town Classic, very good indeed, i believe they will well made up and can last for very long time. GBP29.19 per meter (as stated in their website) It is a steal.

6. Classic Car

Classic Car Senior member

Very very beautiful, my friend had ordered it for me. Can't wait to have it made up.​

7. bamboo

bamboo Senior member

I confirm my order thanks.​

8. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

How does that work?
    "Hey, thanks-- I owe you a beer."
    "That's OK, just get 2.5m of this special order tweed I heard about and send it to my tailor."

9. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

I have some suits made from this book; I suppose it depends on colour as much as fabric but my worry would be whether they look like orphan trousers - especially sharkskin.

Excellent cloth for the money though.

Just as an aside, the diamond twill I mentioned recently.[​IMG]

10. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

If you have time, ask Frank to see the LL cloth, I think he still has some his rerun left in the Brooklyn shop.

11. gopherblue

gopherblue Senior member

Is the LL cloth the larger scale barleycorn or the smaller?

12. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

It's the larger scale, at least in terms of what has been referenced here. It's the same as what Slew is wearing (and poorsod has). Frank had Molloy & Sons do a run for him (which I have). Those versions are a donegal barley corn though, but it should give you the sense of scale since jrd referenced Slew's jacket as being representative of the larger scale IIRC.

13. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

You guys are missing out on the smaller scale. Renders like a solid, so it's like a tweed blazer. The dressiest tweed I have.

14. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Poorsod's barleycorn jacket is awesome.

3 people like this.
  15. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I feel like the smaller scale would be great for a suit and the larger scale for a sport coat.

3 people like this.
  16. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I could see that, but it's great for a sportcoat too.

17. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

I agree with DocHolliday.

18. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

gdl's is exactly my view and why the bond picture looks funny to me. I have a brown donegal tweed that is more or less that scale And it is a suit. I never wear the coat alone.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  19. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

There is an outsize love of large scale patterns on SF. Since "a suit" to the layman refers to pretty much a navy, black, or gray solid worsted sharkskin, anything tweed, large scale or not, is decidedly in the realm of casual and could not possibly be misconstrued as an orphaned jacket. Very few people (even SF diehards) wear full-on tweed suits (solid flannel being the closest to woolen suits most people come -- and consider that even a flannel suit is virtually unheard of among "normals"). Almost all of my sportcoats are in "sportcoat friendly" patterns, but a small, textured material is unimpeachable. I'm not trying to make the argument of that guy from a dozen pages ago, who said that the contemporary style (groan) is to wear SCs with small suiting type plaid patterns, but we're talking about a rough barleycorn tweed, of all things. It seems like a fitting evolution for these kinds of seldom-used cloths to be reappropriated into sportcoats, rather than becoming cannon fodder for people doing Tweed Run or whatever.

1 person likes this.
  20. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

Looking at the yardage of the orders most all are making jackets only so the larger scale is fine. The weaver would have to specify if this cloth is meant as a jacketing only cloth or capable of holding up as a trouser cloth. If this cloth is stable enough to make trousers it makes sense to reduce the scale but I think the pattern would then only work as a suit or jacket as I wouldn't wear this as an odd trouser. If you create a poll to know how many would make suits if the option exists then you could adjust the scale.

I would make a jacket from this in either size in this weight. The color would override the smaller scale and still make a nice jacket. Don't think it would look like an orphaned suit jacket in the smaller scale because there appears to be more contrast in the yarn colors than Bond's jacket. The heavier weight is the deal breaker for me.

Just wanted to muddy the water a bit more!

2 people like this.