1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Classic Car

Classic Car Senior member

For single breast, 1.7m is enough for flap pockets. For patch pockets, 1.8m is more than enough.

2. NorCal_1

NorCal_1 Senior member

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  3. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

4. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

I have a bit of a thing for old English cloth - I was sorting out this afternoon and thought I'd share photos of a few bolts. I suspect I have more than I could ever get made up into suits (a lot more than is shown here), but as the saying goes "they don't make it like they used to":

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the last photo is a length of Holland and Holland silk, which I'm keeping until I find a project for it:

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  5. fassbinder

fassbinder Senior member

great stuff, love to see more photos of this type of stuff. one day i will get around to photographing my stock.

1 person likes this.
  6. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

I suspect this is just great marketing for those susceptible to romantic notions about clothes. I mean, yes, it is not made in the same way anymore. But I'm suspicious of any intrinsic/objective superiority.

2 people like this.
  7. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Your ability to disagree with people is admirable.

8. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

That's some really cool Holland & Holland silk, Simon. I'm not really one for wacky linings, but I kind of like the idea of a tweed jacket lined in that.

3 people like this.
  9. bamboo

bamboo Senior member

10. bamboo

bamboo Senior member

11. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

12. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Have you felt great old vintage cloth in your hands against similar modern cloths to do a comparison? Or is the above comment just based on conjecture? If the latter that reminds me of people without kids who feel the need to pass judgment on others and their parenting.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  13. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm still very interested in doing this. I think the best way to go is to have @gdl203 help us going through Fox because I know he is already in contact with them.

1 person likes this.
  14. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Senior member

I would be v. interested as well (provided we choose a 15oz.+ weight for the flannel trousering).

1 person likes this.
  15. unbelragazzo

I agree. I would be looking for something in the 15-17oz range. Heavier than what they stock, but not quite so heavy as the LL stuff, although if they made it to LL specs in the color that I'm looking for I guess that would be fine. I'm assuming heavier weights mean it would be more expensive too.

Here's my original post on it for those interested (after I posted this a few people made suggestions of cloths to look at but none of them were exactly what I wanted):

List of interested parties:

1) Me
    2) @Grammaton Cleric
    3) @archibaldleach
    4) @dieworkwear
    5) @Odd I/O
    6) @bertie
    7) @fassbinder
    8) @zbromer
    9) @DavidLane

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  16. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

:fistbump:

More people wanting to do runs of ungodly heavy cloths...

:cloud:

17. unbelragazzo

Flannel is so much better as a heavier cloth IMHO. I have a suit in a lighter weight flannel and while it's tailored beautifully, it doesn't drape or hold its shape nearly as well as heavier flannel. 13 oz is about the absolute minimum I'd want to go to on flannel.

Especially for something that's intended to be for trousers. Will of ASW told me once that trousers should be heavier than jackets, and while I wouldn't take it as an unbreakable rule, it's a good thing to keep in mind. At least for me, I don't get as hot in heavy trousers as I do in a heavy jacket, and the extra weight helps the cloth keep a crease, fall in a straight line while standing, and not flap around too much while walking.

1 person likes this.
  18. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

Totally agree here. My favorite is the Fox 17oz which is ideal for NYC late fall and winter. Have one lighter weight Golden Bale which in retrospect I would pass on now even thought he cloth is amazing, it just doesn't hold its shape.

1 person likes this.
  19. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

I'd be in for a couple of meters on the sand/ tan flannel. Would be good to keep a stash on hand just for future orders, frankly, as getting just the right shade has been so difficult.

1 person likes this.
  20. unbelragazzo

I agree. FWIW, I will probably make a suit out of it, with at least two pairs of trousers, although I recognize this color as a suit would not be for everyone.