• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It was silly to have made a completely separate thread about this as I am sure it'll be easier to get answers in here.

Kiton has a 14 micron super 180s fabric. If I wanted this in black, or something very similar, what are my options?

Charles Clayton super200, my dad has 2 suits from it and it is very luxurious, this should be close to Kiton 14micron.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yup, with Jodek / Isles and the like you're subject to distributor markups. If you choose to buy direct, or via a proxy, Lesser and Smiths are 45-55 gbp / meter.

Not everyone has connections to get around the distributor. IMO your earlier statement that I am being cheated (given that I pay more because I buy through the distributor) seems exaggerated.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I assume you want this for black tie? Are you just looking for something lightweight?

Yes on black tie.

The issue is I need a waistcoat to match a tuxedo in that fabric with grosgrain lapels. Yes I understand that if it's not the same cloth, from the same roll, etc. it won't be a match. But it is what it is.

I was thinking of just asking Ercole to do it. No clue if he would have anything similar.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yes on black tie.

The issue is I need a waistcoat to match a tuxedo in that fabric with grosgrain lapels. Yes I understand that if it's not the same cloth, from the same roll, etc. it won't be a match. But it is what it is.

I was thinking of just asking Ercole to do it. No clue if he would have anything similar.

If it's a plain black, worn in the evening under artificial lights, I think a standard black fabric in a similar weight / weave will be virtually indistinguishable from the original fabric.

Take a look at the plain black in Minnis' S150s QX book (or QZ - I can't remember - the 8oz. one).

Last edited:

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Not everyone has connections to get around the distributor. IMO your earlier statement that I am being cheated (given that I pay more because I buy through the distributor) seems exaggerated.

Well, it was meant as an exaggeration as they're obviously not picking your pockets - you're willfully paying their price. My broader point was that it's unfair to justify the LL's straight-from-the-mill prices based on the fact that cut lengths bought from a local distributor are similarly priced. Not a lot of people, and certainly no tailors, are paying 100 gbp / meter for Lesser / Smiths, but everyone (incl. the tailors) are paying the LL's stipulated price. There's a significant mark-up at work there.

Like I said earlier, I don't begrudge Alden his profit, but I remain surprised that his products have so quickly and effectively recalibrated price expectations amongst members.

To give one recent example, a couple of NY members PM'ed me expressing interest in a heavyweight tweed I own. When I mentioned that I paid only 30 gbp / meter (ordered direct from the mill), they both automatically became skeptical as the LL charged so much more for 'quality, old-world' goods. It didn't matter that this was the same mill that makes Huntsman's house tweeds - the simple price discrepancy led them to discount the value of the competing tweed.

Last edited:

Slickman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ this is very true, I picked up johnstons 700g tweed for around 30-40pounds/meter if I remember correctly, and has all the "old world" appeal that one could want, and significantly cheaper than LL. I will say that the LL does put out a quality product, it is just priced with a significant margin built in that suggests to people that thats what it should cost for quality cloth

Last edited:

bertie

Reaction score
I have kicked the tires on a few LL fabrics but not bought any yet. The obstacle is always the price for me. 100 pounds is about $160 dollars a metre. A 3 piece suit is thus 800 dollars just for fabric. As I do CMT and a canvased 3 piece costs me about $900ish, the marginal cost of fabric makes a big difference for me.

I have bought lost of fabric in the 40 to 60 pound range which gets me 50% more clothes.

I do appreciate LL recreating some older style fabrics. If nothing else, it suggests to the larger mills that there remains a market for that type of fabric. It also gives those with less price sensitivity (including those using more expensive tailors) more choices.

Maybe at some point, the uniqueness/novelty factor will outweigh the cost factor for me as well.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have kicked the tires on a few LL fabrics but not bought any yet. The obstacle is always the price for me. 100 pounds is about $160 dollars a metre. A 3 piece suit is thus 800 dollars just for fabric. As I do CMT and a canvased 3 piece costs me about $900ish, the marginal cost of fabric makes a big difference for me.
Wow. Cad & The Dandy?

velomane

Reaction score

When I mentioned that I paid only 30 gbp / meter (ordered direct from the mill), they both automatically became skeptical as the LL charged so much more for 'quality, old-world' goods. It didn't matter that this was the same mill that makes Huntsman's house tweeds - the simple price discrepancy led them to discount the value of the competing tweed.

Would you mind sharing with us the mill you're referring to here? Is it Islay?

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Last edited:

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am surprised none of you complain about the London Lounge linen shirting price. I forget if it is 50 or 100 GBP/m.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure Unbel has some. Looks nice, but it is too rich for my blood.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I am surprised none of you complain about the London Lounge linen shirting price. I forget if it is 50 or 100 GBP/m.

I mean...sure, I would like the price to be lower. But I don't see what good complaining is going to do. You either buy it or don't.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads