1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

Fantastic .... where did you manage to find this fabric?

2. bespokenfor

bespokenfor Active Member

if anybody is interested in woodhouse covert and cavalry twill pm me. I have a good amount of it.

3. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Anyone know who this fabric is from (where southwick sources this from)

[​IMG]

Also, I assume this would be better as a suit than a jacket due to the PoW

4. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Sorry for the late reply. I think there's enough interest. mktitsworth already confirmed with me via PM that the's interested. If @chuckb, @concordia, and anyone else is interested, please PM me. I'll organize an order privately with people by next week.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  5. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

In a custom run of the bleeding madras, or in the madras in general?

6. AdamWill

AdamWill Senior member

Just a drive-by note on this from a few days back - I think the problem with the Huddersfield site is they've taken a few of the pictures from very close up with a flash, completely washing out the colors.

I haven't seen any of the books, but I *think* for instance in the Fresco II collection - https://shop.hfwltd.com/collection/23 - the following are actually the same base color:

0531, 0552, 0557, 0559, 0562, 0564
    0520, 0554, 0560

etc. Basically I think the "Colour" properties are correct, and any two swatches with the same "Colour" text are the same base colour, but the pictures are way off. I think the darker pictures are much closer to the actual colours. I'm sure some of the legends in this thread would have the actual sample books and could confirm, but it sure makes it difficult to order off the website with any reliability. The Alsport collection doesn't look as badly affected, but that one "blue" swatch sure does look like the same kind of washed-out photo.

7. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Has anyone made up the LL mistral? It seems spongier and less tightly woven than the Lesser 16. How does it wear? I've a length of mistral but haven't made it up yet.

8. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

I've had the grey and navy made up, although is a heavier weight the hopsack finish makes it breathable. It's one of the nicest hopsack i've seen, idea for traveling it doesn't crease easily even my tailor commented how great this cloth is to work with.

Here an image I've posted here earlier.

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  9. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Nice looking suit!

I did a blazer in the navy, and agree with your evaluation. The main chore now is to figure out when to make the other patterns, and what flavor to pursue-- SB/DB, drape/classic SR. Normally, I'd blindly experiment but there isn't an infinite amount of the cloth, and the results will be unbelievably durable.

10. Slickman

Slickman Senior member

I have the dark grey and navy made up, really like both. The lesser navy hopsack is very nice as well, don't think you can go wrong with either.

1 person likes this.
  11. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  12. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

13. Michael Ay329

Michael Ay329 Senior member

I had the Navy blue Mistral made up a few years ago. It is not tightly woven...especially to Lesser's 16oz stuff. I can actually wear it when the weather is in the low 70s and no problem with it indoors. Due to its open weave, it does not keep me as warm as I thought it would, so its more of a late spring through fall suit for me. My tailor enjoyed working with it. I look forward to RAF Mistral

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  14. yasu10s

yasu10s Well-Known Member

Nice! Did you make lined or unlined?

15. badsha

badsha Senior member

Anyone know the exact fabric number for this Green Donegal cloth. I know caccioppolinapoli sells it. I was referred to Jodek. I believe the photo is from The Armoury in HK.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

Contact Cacciopoli they will respond immediately.

17. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think that's the same one as I'm using for a SC. Nice stuff.

18. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Senior member

I don't have the exact number but it is from the cacioppolli book called "salt and pepper and covercoat". Try to get a large swatch if you can and be careful - that particular fabric can really wash out certain skin tones. I went with the more traditional gray from the same book.

[​IMG]

19. badsha

badsha Senior member

I already contacted them. I was referred to Jodek.

Is it a heavy cloth?

Good to know. Hopefully someone here has the swatch book. Please PM if anyone has or can obtain it. I will return it to you.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  20. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm pretty sure mine was not from an overcoating book, so maybe it's a different fabric. I don't think it was that heavy, maybe 13 oz.