1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Once you have a reasonable rotation of decent clothes, you might as well take a chance.

When bespoke goes well, it's genuinely surprising how much better it is than RTW. Odds are that it won't go well the first time but it is usually pretty good by the second go-around, assuming you pick a tailor who's got the skills and a style you like.

If you know going into it that it's a long drawn out process and that you're doing it for the next 10 suits over the next X years, you won't be as bothered by a few bumps at the start. Or by the problems you'll eventually encounter even after you think everything should be going perfectly smoothly.

It's a marriage not a one night stand.

Marriage isn't for everyone but there's certainly something to be said for it.

1 person likes this.
  2. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

We're you guys dissatisfied with your first items when you received them, or did they fall out of favor after you had better? What made you go back?

3. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

My first is very much a part of my regular rotation. Like most here, I chose a navy workhorse fabric and as such, I get a lot of use out of it.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

For myself I thought the fit was great, no complaints there, however my tastes in silhouette and style changed for sure. Sold my first commission.

1 person likes this.
  5. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

London Lounge Brown Barleycorn tweed now funded. Really comfy fabric that feels like I'm wearing a cozy blanket. Heavy stuff at around 19oz. Perfect for today's weather. Made by a MBT. Is it as good as Steed? No way, but still very nice and the fabric is stellar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11 people like this.
  6. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Same goes for me for my first handful of commissions. I enjoyed them at the time, but gradually the styling began to feel too modern. I also prefer more comfort and drape these days while back then I just wanted a crisp and clean silhouette. Live and learn.

1 person likes this.
  7. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

First time using the MBT, David?

8. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Used him a handful of times throughout the past 4 years. Think this is the 5th item I've had made from him. All turned out nice enough if lacking the panache that Steed has in their garments.

9. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  10. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

Wow - well done Slew! Better hang on to that MBT.

11. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Here here. I love the fabric.

12. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thanks to all for taking a moment to share your experiences.

1 person likes this.
  13. mactire

mactire Senior member

MBT?

14. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Mystery Bespoke Tailor. I didn't make up the expression, but it seems to have become the norm.

1 person likes this.
  15. koolbear

koolbear Well-Known Member

It's Hunter and Winterbotham, Twister. Lightweight stuff, but good for the hot weather down-under.

16. E TF

E TF Senior member

Sounds like one way to help ensure success would be to commission your first from Despos!

1 person likes this.
  17. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

I know this is going to be thrown out by many members here.

Basically, I am in need for a good black suit for formal and evening wear. Can anyone recommend a good choice?

I am looking for something around 11-12oz all wool, minimum crease and durable, and it has to be proper dark black.

18. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

RTW or a tailor or cloth?

Anyway, my first tailor did a fine job and I ended up getting another 4 from him in the next month. First suit was a DB navy linen suit that I'd been searching for OTR for ages but never found.

1 person likes this.
  19. Stugotes

Stugotes Senior member

My first commission was great. I'd factor in some things, though: I guess I'm easy to fit and only have one physical "quirk" that prompted me to go bespoke: big chest and shoulders and an otherwise slim frame. OTR usually has the armholes and sleeves too big and the collar too generous. I also wanted a three piece, but that's more of a design issue...

Your posts in the various picture threads usually look good (to me), so I'd contemplate how much better a bespoke suit would fit you.

1 person likes this.
  20. tcbrgs

tcbrgs Senior member

Starting to build my summer wardrobe, looking to have around 8-10 odd jackets made (maybe few full suits), just looking at summer fabrics, what are peoples opinion of these 3 fabrics, they're combination of linen/cotton/wool/silk/cashmere

Thinking top blue, odd jakcet, really not sure on middle, not usually my bag but my experiment, and bottom blue maybe a jacket. What you guys think?

[​IMG]