1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

It is hard to pair a lighter colored trouser with that jacket. It looks like a light shade of blue/grey on the screen to me. If you wear darker grey or navy, you may not be used to a light color jacket and darker trouser combo, but what do I know! Say this because have had clients that didn't wear/like things for that reason but couldn't pinpoint the reasoning.

If the collar isn't staying on your neck, what is causing the issue would make the jacket uncomfortable and annoying to wear. Jacket is always fighting you.

2. Despos

Have never understood this occurrence.

3. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Can I get a quick show of hands? Who here found their first commission unworkable?

4. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

My one bespoke suit is my least favorite suit. Tailor's style ultimately did not jibe with my style... too structured, not enough freedom of movement, and also just doesn't look as good as what I can find off the rack from some makers. My choice of cloth was not ideal though, heavier would have been better. Pants are very nice though.

I'm very jelly about the bespoke crowd's ability to pick and choose cloths as in this thread. That's the main thing that tempts me about more bespoke at this point.

But: 1) The jackets and suits that I ultimately buy OTR look better on me than a most of the bespoke stuff I see on SF (I guess I am lucky with build, and I am very choosy); 2) The iterations of fittings are a very big hassle given my schedule limitations; & 3) The price differential usually favors OTR. So I have yet to go back to bespoke.

Maybe if and when I have way more free time I will try again with another shop known for a softer shoulder.

1 person likes this.
  5. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

I think what he meant was people end up choosing wrong tailors, adding too many bells and whistle for their first commission.

My own experience was choosing a black suit as my first commission many moons ago before SF to the angst of my tailor, I've ended wearing the suit only a handful of times.

1 person likes this.
  6. archetypal_yuppie

Unworkable, no, but (see above) I'm not really thrilled to wear it and prefer others.

7. sugarbutch

Thanks, gents. dopey? aportnoy? Manton? pB? TRINI? (and any others, of course)

8. Patrick R

Patrick R Senior member

For my first true bespoke suits, I had a client pay for his traveling tailor to make a suit for me. Not a fan of the fabric, style, or fit. Simultaneously (or close to it), Despos was making a suit for me. It's as great as you would expect.

1 person likes this.
  9. E TF

E TF Senior member

My first bespoke suit was for my wedding. Did it's job admirably that day, but the shade of light grey limited it's usefulness thereafter. I might have chosen something else if I'd known then what I know now (it was pre SF). Haven't put it on a while, wonder if it still fits at all...

1 person likes this.
  10. Despos

Is that why you are frowning in your avatar picture? You just tried on your suit!

So your tailor tried to dissuade you from ordering a black suit?

There is an intangible aspect when ordering custom clothing. You don't know how the silhouette of the maker will render on your frame. That's what happened to yuppie. You don't know how the jacket will feel or move on you or with you until it is finished. I don't rush first fittings with a client. I tend to have them linger and watch how the jacket moves or how they respond when doing normal movements. Fitting clothes while you are static in front of the mirror isn't realistic. Jackets and trousers need a kinetic quality so you don't notice them when you wear them.

I am reluctant when someone is ordering every option they can think of. I understand the reasoning. With RTW you have no options so given the opportunity they can ask for details they like.

Some of the best options with custom clothing aren't styling but functional. I like to size pockets to what you carry to minimize movement. Like a pocket to hold your glasses or sunglasses without them falling sideways in a wider pocket.
    It's all about personalization.

2 people like this.
  11. Despos

Make a lot of suits for weddings. Better to get something that can be practical to your lifestyle afterwards.

12. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

I wear my first bespoke suit often still. It was a navy birdseye, so safe color, and the tailor and I clicked well with style choices. That said, I had a couple failures in MTM with other tailors previously which I learned from.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  13. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

An H lesser flannel double breasted suit was my first bespoke suit last year. I wear it once a week during this winter.

1 person likes this.
  14. archetypal_yuppie

If I looked like the person in my avatar I would avoid showing my face.

Yeah. Something I love about RTW and fear about bespoke. I am a careful/deliberate guy and like knowing what I'm getting.

I think my tailor was more enthusiastic about tightening up the back around the shoulders/underarms than I was, and it's tight across the back when I stretch my arms forward. Not massively, but noticeably and annoyingly.

1 person likes this.
  15. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

I think some of it is finding a tailor who is capable and willing to work with your ignorance. At least, this was my experience. The suit Despos made for me is awesome and I love wearing it.

1 person likes this.
  16. Patrick R

Patrick R Senior member

Is that you looking through my window?

17. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

Only on the nights when I'm cold and lonely. The other nights its that guy Jeff. You know the one - he says you do.

18. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

I have - on the first commission from a few different tailors, actually. 'Unworkable' overstates the case a bit but they're hardly ever worn.

If you go into it realizing that, it's a little less galling (though obviously still expensive).

I'd recommend getting something that naturally has a bit shorter life or that you'd already wear less frequently - cotton, linen or even flannel (I know some flannels are relatively hardy but yea). The downside to that is that the first two are somewhat quirky cloths to fit / tailor so it isn't an ideal starting point in that regard.

19. sugarbutch

You're depressing me, Canta.

20. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

My first was a navy workhorse from Chan. I don't love it, but it still get a lot of use out of it. My second order was more successful but I wouldn't order another from them.

1 person likes this.