1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. fassbinder

fassbinder Senior member

perhaps he hasn't noticed how bad your coats fit around the neck?

1 person likes this.
  2. forex

forex Senior member

The only thing I like about this jacket is the buttonhole, other than that, there is nothing special about it. Neither pattern nor fit but it's your money and clothing so feel free to do whatever you want. If you think all people on this board have no idea what they are talking about, perhaps you are in the wrong place to begin with?!

4 people like this.
  3. tcbrgs

tcbrgs Senior member

Thanks for insulting me. You do realize how ironic it is to join a debate calling people 'fools' whilst purposefully ignoring all rationale points made?

This isn't how educated men converse, so you have perhaps achieved your goal, I am no longer posting in this discussion.

4. tcbrgs

tcbrgs Senior member

@Forex where did I say everyone on this site have no idea what they talk? This is a straw man, please don't do that.

@fassbinder how so?

5. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

Spare us your sophomoric logic and spend some time reading around instead.

2 people like this.
  6. tcbrgs

tcbrgs Senior member

Lol I give up, this is painful. You do realize due to your inability to construct a proper argument, or converse intelligently - I have no idea what exactly you disagree with me on, or what you actually want me to read. Good day.

7. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

You've conflated inability and disinclination. Isn't failing to make a distinction between the two one of your little logical fallacies? And also, isn't your insistence on placing the burden of evidence on me another logical fallacy?

Look at me! I can do Logic! :teach:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  8. tcbrgs

tcbrgs Senior member

I'm not placing the burden of evidence on you to prove whether I'm right or wrong, I'm just asking you to add something to the discussion..

It's actually quite insulting you can't be bothered to engage in the conversation in any meaningful way. With my post and arguments, I've put the effort to actually to take time out of my day to take pictures and explain my position.

It's great to know you can't be arsed showing me the same level of courtesy.

9. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

In all seriousness though, here's why those patterns look bad as odd jackets:

1. They look like they could be orphaned suit jackets. This is one of the most egregious mistakes in all of men's clothing.
    2. Odd jackets are casual by definition. They should look casual, they should be hard-wearing, they should be heavier in weight, coarser, more rustic, and bolder in pattern than suiting. The special exception is the navy blazer.
    3. Grey flannel trousers are the quintessential trouser to wear with an odd jacket. Therefore all of your odd jackets should contrast greatly with grey flannel.
    4. Finally, these cloths have a history, and small-scale glen plaids have historically been used for suits and not for odd jackets. This is one of the main reasons why point (1) is so important.

1 person likes this.
  10. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

It's funny that you see it this way. From my end, it looks like you can't be bothered to read around a little before engaging in a vociferous argument on an elementary point of good taste.

11. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

That sport coat really does look like suiting, but if it makes you happy to wear it that way, then you have found happiness. I don't much care for the styling, particularly the lapel shape and over-high notch but there are other elements of the cut that I do like. The tailoring itself looks very good (no-collar).

12. tcbrgs

tcbrgs Senior member

Ok great :)

1) It would really depend on what you wear as suits, I don't see many loud POW suits in the city. And by definition we arguing about the loudness and size of pattern, on an already loud, large pattern. Perhaps my cut off on what I personally like is different from yours, who will be different than the next person? It's a lot down to personal taste, once you know what you're doing it's fine

2) Why should they be more rustic and coarser? And why is navy the exception? What should I do with all my 100% cashmere jackets? Or my vicuna ones? I assure you these are not coarse, and they are relatively lighter

3) This makes sense, don't pair your grey trousers with your similar but different jackets. What about the times I don't wear grey flannels, and wear jeans, different coloured trousers and chinos?

The point I'm making, perhaps contrary to what others are arguing, is that style can be more personal then the absolutes some people are pushing.

1 person likes this.
  13. dopey

If your personal style is to wear suitings as sport coats, run with it. You have a nice headstart.

3 people like this.
  14. tcbrgs

tcbrgs Senior member

Of course, and this is my point. I can assure you this cloth isn't intended to be used for trousers, it's double faced - too heavy (I've never seen a double faced cloth like this used in trousers before).

1 person likes this.
  15. tcbrgs

tcbrgs Senior member

Be sure to give me credit of the style in 40 years :)

1 person likes this.
  16. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

People are so weird...

6 people like this.
  17. dopey

You are right, a double faced cloth is not intended for use as a suit - it is either sport coat or overcoat. And while I think the pattern is a bad choice for a sport coat, the manufacturer had people like you, and there are many, in mind. Manufacturers make stuff because they think people will buy them - tastes differ. In fact, trends are on your side and there is a kind of timidity creeping into sport coats. So you have that in your favor.

At this point, people have made their positions clear. I won't argue with you. But I will note that if you spend some time looking at examples of well-dressed men during the heyday of tailored clothes, you will see the clear distinction between suitings and coatings. It is not accidental. Whether you care or not is your business.

:) As I noted above, the trend is on your side. Eventually, that will function as black-tie.

4 people like this.
  18. forex

forex Senior member

You are most likely missing the main concept here, just because it is to your liking and your personal style doesn't make it look good. I think that a lot of people have commented that the fabrics you have chosen do not look good as sport coats. Does it mean you should not wear them? Of course not, as I said, it is your money and clothing so you can wear whatever you want. What people are arguing here is that those fabrics are usually reserved as suitings and you should use bolder patterns and fabrics that are woven as sport coatings. Again, this doesn't mean that someone can't wear his suit coat as an add coat, it just doesn't look good.
    Also, on point #3 above, you can certainly wear sport coats with odd pants other than flannel but the point was that if your sport coat doesn't look good with gray flannel pants (the most neutral color), chances are your choice of fabric wasn't right/great.

19. fassbinder

fassbinder Senior member

in both photos you posted of jackets you are wearing, your collar looks loose and it appears to be gaping on at least one of the sides. it would probably appear worse if your shirts were buttoned and without a sweater. i would talk to your tailor about it.

1 person likes this.
  20. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

Am I misremembering or didn't people go ga-ga over a similar cloth from London Lounge that was used for odd jackets? Be kind if I am wrong, I just turned 50 and might be suffering the attending symptoms of my advanced years.

1 person likes this.