1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Mine is the 29608 which I think is still available.

2. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I tried to get a particular piece a while back and was told that it ran out. Nothing was being re-made. It's just being allowed to run out and when it's gone, it's gone.

3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Frank is getting some sample swatches of what is left, apparently a few basics.

4. patrickBOOTH

I think you recommended this to me a while back.

Was considering Harrisons 15oz that I saw in a book today if I can't find the Lesser, but I am holding out. It was pretty fuzzy and somewhat plain weave. It looked like flannel, but was a worsted, not a worsted flannel either. Frank called it "donkey cloth" which I think he made up, but it was very matte. Slickman recommended Smith's over Harrisons, but I actually didn't look at any Smiths while I was there.

5. mactire

mactire Senior member

6. marcodalondra

marcodalondra Senior member

1 person likes this.
  7. bertie

bertie Senior member

I got a full sample set of what I presume is the new 16 oz Lesser earlier this year and ordered a grey POW and navy hopsack (i think anyway). As far as I know the fabric shown on the web site is all available.

8. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

Hey guys whats a good fabric for Washington, DC summers? Would a 14 oz linen be too heavy, and what would be a good weight for a fresco to choose?

9. patrickBOOTH

8/9oz Minnis Fresco is perfect. I also like the Holland & Sherry Crispaire in the lighter weights.

1 person likes this.
  10. patrickBOOTH

I have some 8oz Scabal tropical plain weave that I love very much too. Very crisp, doesn't wrinkle easily. Kind of reminds me of the feel of Mohair. Cool wearing, but nothing like fresco.

11. 32-20

32-20 Active Member

I wasn't aware that Ireland had a bespoke tradition. Might I ask who your tailor is?

12. patrickBOOTH

Do all of the tailors use Inis Meain cloth?

1 person likes this.
  13. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Do check the out of stock list also. A few of the photographed cloths are on that list (and no longer in the physical book). A shame, as I'd been eyeing the grey herringbone with blue stripes for a while.

14. bertie

bertie Senior member

Good point. I was more addressing those who indicated that the 16oz was no longer available. It seems like the "old" stock was run down and then a new batch created and marketed. I take as good news that some of the "new" stock has sold out as that suggests a robust market for what many would see as an anachronistic product and there is also potential that more will be created in response to this market demand.

edit: Just checked my samples against the out of stock list. I have about 20 samples and none appear on the out of stock list.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  15. mactire

mactire Senior member

16. mactire

mactire Senior member

Inis Meáin only make knits, and are hard to find here anyway as they're focussed on the export market.

17. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

Archaic?

18. bertie

bertie Senior member

Your's is the better word but still like the temporal element in anachronistic "The representation of someone as existing or something as happening in other than chronological, proper, or historical order" from thefreedcitionary.com

19. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

Anachronistic is the more appropriate word. Archaic denotes something extremely old, outdated, or obsolete, whilst anachronistic is often used to simply mean "old-fashioned".

20. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

I quibbled with anachronistic precisely because it does *not* mean old fashioned. It means out of chronology, or chronologically inconsistent. That said I'm willing to accept bertie's use if that's how he intended to use it. I suggested archaic because I figured that might be what he meant.

Edit: For anachronistic, think of the TV show Archer. Involves items and references from various different time periods being used all at once, out of chronology.