1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

That's badass. Congrats on the find and Happy New Year!

1 person likes this.
  2. francoamerican

francoamerican Senior member

Somewhat inspired by this

dieworkwear.com/post/66104448254/tobacco-fresco

I'm looking for a solid brown spring summer fabric for a three patch odd jacket. I'm buying mtm from propersuit. I had thought some sort of hopsack or wool linen silk blend.

Thanks in an advance.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  3. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

What do you guys think about the Harrison's Mirage book? Anyone made it up?

4. mactire

mactire Senior member

A fully paid up member of the Berkshire Hunt.

The cut length price for Fox used to be £42/m ex-VAT on all ranges. Entirely due to Alden queering the pitch for others and having his supposed own 'range' of cloth issued Fox Bros. jumped their price to the £92-£100 ex-VAT level.

Amen. He adds no value to the path between sheep and loom and has leveraged being an internet personality into an earner for himself. That is all.

5. gopherblue

gopherblue Senior member

I'm having a sportcoat made of the Harrison's Mirage as I write this--in process at Ercole:

I really like the hand of the two bolts of Mirage cloth I handled. Frank and Ercole both said they love it, and told me it makes up beautifully. I've read favorable comments on other iGent forums too. I'll let you know.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  6. gopherblue

gopherblue Senior member

I have a Harrison's question too: Has anyone seen/handled the Harrison's Anniversary Tweed? Had anything made from it? Thoughts/opinions?

7. bertie

bertie Senior member

I got the samples of the anniversary tweed but have not had anything made up. The cloth is very rustic and the checks are HUGE. The samples do not have the weight listed so I could not venture a guess.

8. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Senior member

Just looked into these. Some interesting patterns- however I was shocked that the US distributor charges $175/ meter for this, making it more expensive than LL!

That said if anyone has 2.25 meters of the brown with green overcheck they want to sell, I'm interested.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  9. gopherblue

gopherblue Senior member

I'd love to see/handle a sample. Are you in the NYC area?

10. bertie

bertie Senior member

Nope - about 2400 miles west and north :)

11. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

They also changed ownership, launched the whole Fox Merchant thing with a lot more online presence, and collaborated with a number of other retailers. Even if LL did not exist and/or had never partnered with Fox, I doubt the price of Fox flannel would still be 42 pounds/meter.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  12. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

Thx! I don't have incredible experience with modern heavy stuff, just what Frank has, but from what he says, and my limited experience is that the older stuff is way more dense and heavy...not easy to work with.

13. mactire

mactire Senior member

Possibly not, but he has made a deliberate policy of trying to stop mills from selling cut lengths stock ranges to the public incl. those who make the linens & tweeds he sells [which are all from their stock range].

14. Slickman

Slickman Senior member

^ this is true of the barleycorn which molloy quoted me at 2 different prices, first the stock price, then once LL got wind of my pending purchase, the LL price

1 person likes this.
  15. Maccimus

Maccimus Senior member

Interested to know how LL got the wind of your order...

16. S K M

S K M Senior member

And how substantial was the difference?

17. mactire

mactire Senior member

I recall that some moron posted in the LL asking if the stock barleycorn he'd enquired about was the LL cloth or not.

Taking into account sterling prices & vat 2.5 times the RRP from the mill.

18. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Going to look at some Lesser 16oz stuff next week. Probably will check out the Smith Botany book as well. What is the price like on these books? About average?

19. johanm

johanm Senior member

This is awful. I hate getting ripped off by middlemen regardless of the underlying goods. For me it would take the fun out of the purchase and I would skip it altogether.

They're priced roughly in between the Harrisons/Minnis group and the Scabal/H&S group, but better than both for this type of cloth IMO. Also try Smith Steadfast which is really good and kind of intermediate between Lesser 16 and Botany.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
    3 people like this.
  20. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Great suggestion, thanks.