• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
90% of the stuff marked "donegal" that I have seen looks like what I have posted above (in a variety of colors, though). And it's way thinner than harris. Harris pretty much only comes in very heavy weights, high teens and above, and is so scrachty it can sand off your skin. Donegal is more refined, though perhaps all the donegal I am familiar with is "faux donegal," I don't know.

I will say that in the old sources, AA and the like, "Donegal" is always represented as having that pattern, sort like birdseye, but with the dot more or less the size and shape of arboreo rice.

Last edited:

etkl

Reaction score

90% of the stuff marked "donegal" that I have seen looks like what I have posted above (in a variety of colors, though). And it's way thinner than harris. Harris pretty much only comes in very heavy weights, high teens and above, and is so scrachty it can sand off your skin. Donegal is more refined, though perhaps all the donegal I am familiar with is "faux donegal," I don't know.

I will say that in the old sources, AA and the like, "Donegal" is always represented as having that pattern, sort like birdseye, but with the dot more or less the size and shape of arboreo rice.

Again, this all comes from a conflation of the original and generic terms. But if you look at the fabrics actually made by the Irish mills historically, they have always come in a variety of weights, weaves and patterns. So, in answer to your original question whether a Donegal can be a herringbone, the answer is yes and often is.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Like how all tissue is called "Kleenex" and yet Kleenex makes things other than tissue.

etkl

Reaction score

Like how all tissue is called "Kleenex" and yet Kleenex makes things other than tissue.

And a lot of companies make tissues that we generically call Kleenex. Xerox is another example. Or for those who are old enough to remember, Frigidare.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can I get people's opinions on Oyster, Lesser, and Smith's navy hopsacks? I'm planning to order a BlazerSuit through Steed, and they sent me some swatches to consider.

My impression is that Lesser is really nice, but feels very smooth compared to the Oyster and Smith. Possibly better if this garment was only to be used as a suit. Oyster, on the other hand, has a much more visible weave, but I fear it might be too "rustic" for a true city suit. Smiths, to my eye, seems to be right in the middle. Good enough for a suit, but not so smooth that the fabric would look odd as a blazer, which is what I intend to wear this most as. Thus, I'm tempted then to use something like Smith's 3913, a 12/13oz wool.

Can anyone offer thoughts?

I'm looking for something similar. Is the Smith 3913 you're looking at from Botany?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

that is a fine summary. All three are excellent quailty. For use as a blazer, I would prefer the one with the most rusticity.

Thanks, Manton. The most rusticated one is Oyster, but I'm unsure if it's too rough for a proper city suit? At the the same time, I'm not sure if Smiths is too smooth for a sport coat. Any thoughts?

I'm looking for something similar. Is the Smith 3913 you're looking at from Botany?

I'm actually not sure. I ask Steed if they could send me samples of the Steadfast, as I've read good things about it either here or on LL, so I assume it's from there. I emailed them last week to confirm, but haven't yet heard back.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I think any blue hopsack is fine for a city suit, I mean if we will wear flannel and fresco, then a rough hopsack is fine

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

And a lot of companies make tissues that we generically call Kleenex. Xerox is another example. Or for those who are old enough to remember, Frigidare.

Band-Aid is also a brand name. Mackintosh too (named after the inventor of the fabric used).

Last edited:

johanm

Reaction score
I have a suit made from Smith Botany 3912, same plain weave as 3913 (not hopsack) but one shade lighter, and I consider it to be very much a smooth business worsted. The navy hopsack from the Steadfast line, which I have in a blazer, is significantly more rustic and textured.

Gruto

Reaction score
In the late 19th century, Donegal weavers went to Harris to learn how they had built The Harris Tweed, which had become so popular with the gentry on the mainland. Except for the speckles, which were a way to save on dyeing, Donegal tweed seems to follow the path of Harris Tweed in regard to patterns.

Last edited:

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
If one ounce lighter weight doesn't bother you, Fine Classics is a little less textured than the Oyster but more so than the Lessers.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Country shirting from Fisher:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads