1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. marcodalondra

marcodalondra Senior member

I have had three Chinos made in Brisbane Moss Cotton Drill last summer and have the fabric for two more to be made. I cannot think of anything better, and my trousermaker was also impressed.

Edit: Link: http://www.styleforum.net/t/357393/neapolitan-bespoke-chinos

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  2. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

Have a look at the Harrison Mersolair, I have made up a few pairs of cotton trousers from this book, nice stuff.

3. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Cheers, gents.

I'll probably start a separate thread with a draft post posted here first to demonstrate what I had in mind.

Matt - would be very interested in seeing those Molloy swatches. I just sent them off an email requesting some myself. I'm interested in Pattern #0701 07

[​IMG]

because of its resemblance to this:

[​IMG]

4. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

if you're going to get B&W donegal, make sure it has some heather in it.

5. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

6. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Suggestions? I haven't had a look at the W. Bill tweeds because i don't have access to them.

7. mattcritchlow

mattcritchlow Well-Known Member

Trini,

Will do, I'm fairly certain that I have that swatch. Traveling for work at the moment, but should be able to get you a pic later this week.

Matt

8. Slickman

Slickman Senior member

Okay I've narrowed Fox's samples down to three shades, A is more yellow based, B is more orange, C is more red (the original cloth I posted a photo of earlier). Let me know what you guys think. I am leaning towards C and perhaps A as a second run if anyone is interested, but they're all great. Please voice your opinion if you are interested in being a part of this one. The weight will be 17oz for those who missed that earlier.

[​IMG]

9. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

The swatch Trini posted is pretty interesting already. Do you really think it would be better with bits of red / blue / green?

10. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

They're all a little off-center, but I could envision C or A as a decent set of odd trousers--- to go with a sweater or midnight blazer, not a tweed.

11. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Senior member

Thanks! Just ordered some swatches. Surprisingly cheap actually.....

12. tim_horton

tim_horton Senior member

I also vote for C. I'm in for 4 meters.

13. mactire

mactire Senior member

BTW Molloy will do custom runs @ 60m if there are interested parties out there.

Looking forward to the swatch thread, and would be able to post on my own books to someone with a decent camera set-up.

14. bertie

bertie Senior member

Prefer C - in for 5 m

15. Dib

Dib Senior member

tchoy, Marcodalondra - thanks for the suggestions, i will check those out!

16. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

An update: we've hit a bit over 60m for the brown Fresco! So it looks like it'll likely get run.

I'm in touch with HFW right now to get details, and to work with them on producing a swatch. The next steps are: 1) get a hard price quote (I won't be taking any profit, so it'll just be whatever they charge), 2) get info on production time, 3) get a swatch produced, and finally 4) get hard commitments.

Ideally, I'd like to have people pay HFW for their lengths before the fabric is actually produced, but will be in touch with people about that. Since I'm not taking any profit, I don't want to be stuck with an extra 3 or 5m if someone pulls out. But I'm happy to do what's best for everyone involved.

17. P-K-L

P-K-L Senior member

C, 3m.

18. Slickman

Slickman Senior member

The closet shade to what I was going for is the Minnis, labeled D below. I am in talks with Fox to see if they can replicate but with depth of color in their own flannels. Minnis cannot do their shade with the flecks of color that make these heavy weight flannels so special unless we place a very large order. So our current options would be to do a run of i) the "flat" minnis tobacco flannel labeled D, ii) shade C of the fox flannel, or iii) fox's iteration of the minnis shade with some more character (waiting to hear back from them on this one)

Photo Color Key:
    A - Yellow based Fox
    B - Orange based Fox
    C - Red based Fox
    D - Tobacco Minnis
    E - WBill Tobacco Linen #60154

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

I think the color D with the twill texture of B would be pretty awesome.

20. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Senior member

D is easily the best of the lot.

I assume these are for flannel sportcoats? Or are you guys envisioning full tobacco brown flannel suits?