1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

The Harrison is better, IMO. The Smith version was the best but they ran out a while back. Possible they have remade it, I haven't checked in while.

2. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Thanks! Will ask Steed to send some samples. I think a DB chalk stripe is overdue in my life.

3. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

Don't know the weight exactly, but aren't there some navy chalk stripes in the Lumbs Golden Bale?

4. Manton

I want that same suit, though I really don't need it, and last I looked the Harrison was the best. The really good minnis design in the 400g does not have navy. Other navys in minnis either have stripes too close together or too faint.

But, as ever, new stuff is made all the time so they might have something better now. But when I looked through minnis with steed last year to order my solid gray, they didn't.

5. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

What is the optimal width for the chalkstripe One-inch?

6. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Minnis has an AFB chalk strip that I'm considering. I definitely don't want a blue that's too dark. The LL Fox book has a great book, but it's just too heavy.

7. Manton

I have that minnis afb in a 3-piece SB. Nice suit. Would prefer navy for DB, or DB in navy, or both. if that makes sense.

I would say around 3/4" is right, slightly wider better than narrower.

8. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

Is the Fox LL flannel too heavy? I have a suit made up in it and love it, but it is heavy, 17 oz I think.

9. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

I find flannel wears hotter than plain worsted. Eg my 13 oz Lesser flannel wears warmer than the 16 oz Lesser. How does the 17 oz LL flannel wear indoors?

10. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

I tend to run on the warmer side indoors so getting something a bit less weighty would be more beneficial for me.

11. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

I have a 17oz flannel suit as well (vintage Zegna), it does run a little warm but it is cooler than my FF horsehide biker and heavy wax cotton jacket. I think it is absolute alright to wear one in European late autumn to winter a.k.a start of winter time in UK.

12. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

A&S has some excellent house fabrics, and I understand they do a tolerable copy of Steed's style.

13. terrorsquad

terrorsquad Senior member

Someone asked about is so this is the H.Lesser special edition which will be milled. It will be based on the 8/9oz Lesser Tropical and the scale of the overcheck and POW will be bigger to make it similar to the picture of the suit worn by Mark below.

This was inspired by Mark Cho's suit (pictured below) and hence will be called 'The Mark'. Mark is also getting a length hence those who are interested, just drop me a PM on the price. Prices are reasonable' no crazy prices though it took 3 attempts to get the colour and design right. Apologies for the quality of the pictures though; my camera skills are not that stellar [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  14. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

With the heating-system cranked up so high in most places indoors, it'd probably be unbearable to me. Maybe alfresco dinning in the winter :happy: or if you sit near the door where it gets draughty everytime somebody enters the room.

1 person likes this.
  15. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

I got mine late this past winter, so only wore it three times, but I didn't find it unbearably hot, and I am generally hot natured, breaking out in to a sweat with alarming frequency. Maybe I have a thyroid problem.

16. Concordia

Linen shirts and socks might help a little.

17. Concordia

Very attractive. Not sure I need something like this, but it is a very successful result.

18. ~ B ~

~ B ~ Senior member

Have 5m of Navy chalkstripe Rangoon to let go. Please PM for details.

19. LEVOOSH

LEVOOSH Senior member

Commissioning a new navy blazer. 2 patch, notch lapel, barchetta breast, brown horn buttons

Preference is for something 3 seasons (Fall,Winter,Spring). I'm trying somebody new who has access to mostly VBC fabrics and some ariston.

Any recomendations for a classic hopsack weave that fits the bill?

20. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

Doing the exact same thing. In need of a new beater. Interested to hear insight.