1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. obama

obama Well-Known Member

Thanks vodking for the link. In the FB page, it is said combined luxury and comfort. But I am actually looking for casual and more surface texture. Even the minnis Fresco 520 looks not casual enough for the purpose. Hope someone can share some real life experience maybe?

2. nerdoldnerdith

nerdoldnerdith Active Member

Does anyone know of a relatively low-cost tailor in New York City that does CMT work for suits? I am going to be living out there, and I want to have a suit made from some of the fabric that I've found on this thread. I am unlikely to find a similar pattern in any bespoke/MTM tailor's catalog.

3. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

4. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

The first one would make a nice summer DB suit. The second one is not to my taste for any application

5. S K M

S K M Senior member

True, the moonbeam range has sommething quite similar. However, I think you should join my quest for a reissue of the LL-version :D

Cheers,
    SKM

6. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

7. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Straight up, or do you have to have it turned into a shirt?

8. yasu10s

yasu10s Well-Known Member

Cheers SKM

9. Concordia

A very assertive one, to be sure. A SB suit could also do duty as a SJ.

10. Concordia

I have the Mistral in my cellar and the POW at a tailor. My only question for the latter is Belt or Braces? It's informal enough that belt would work well, especially if the jacket is to come off in warmer weather. But if it's to be travelled in, there's that additional nuisance of removing the belt in airports...

11. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

I am probably going to have NSM make up the POW. With NSM pants, I find wearing neither a belt nor braces is best. The waistband is so soft naturally and stretchy that wearing a belt gets in the way. Neapolitan pants don't look right with braces.

12. Concordia

I have trouble imagining their trs accomodating braces, although I think Will has commissioned something for that. Belted waists look super, however.

I always worry about having neither available.

13. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

For me, this fabric represents two problems. The first is that it is neither fish nor fowl, not bold enough for a patterned sportcoat but not sedate enough for a suit (unless you live on an English country estate). The second is that it is a grey sportcoat. For a grey odd jacket to work, it has to have a lot of surface interest (donegal) or be a loud pattern, like a grey/black large scale PoW. In that pic, other than wearing it with jeans (which I hate, sportcoat/jeans/dress shoes), what are you going to wear it with? Grey pants are out. You can wear brown, but it has to be a light color, maybe a cream flannel. Shirt has to also be a light blue or white, a medium blue would be too much. Basically, any outfit in which you wear that jacket, you could have easily worn something a lot better :foo:

14. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

I wonder if I should make the Ambrosi styled super-long waist band that goes into the belt loop. Is it useful or just a fad?

15. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

light navy pants? yea, not that versatile I suppose

16. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

Fwiw, I'm not a fan. My preference is for single pleat with the button tab extended to the pleat. Side adjusters,

17. velomane

velomane Senior member

You can get more info, even though some might be hearsay, at AskAndy's forum. I'm SOL on one jacket with no means of recovering any funds.

18. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

There have been a couple of short threads on the forums about this. Very sad. Looks like most people are out of luck for getting their money back, which makes sense in a bankruptcy. Apparently Bookster contracts out a lot of their work though--in one of the threads, folks were calling the contractor and getting the half-finished product back.

Sad all the way around, though.

19. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

It just is. Not faddish or anything else. It isn't a bad choice if there is no belt, as it is makes the closure look finished. But a shorter tab looks good, too.

20. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

i don't recommend it, and I say that as a fran of their pents.