1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Senior member

Thank you. I think they are from the Alsport collection. They were on their special promotions list. A steal at £19.99 per meter....

Mill Special Promo Cloths msp9197
    Mill Special Promo Cloths msp9187
    Mill Special Promo Cloths msp9191

1 person likes this.
  2. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

If I'm not mistaken, you are referring to Huddersfield Cloth. Alsport is from Huddersfield Fine Worsted. It goes for about £80 per meter.

3. jerrybrowne

You're right! Thanks for sorting that out.

4. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

How is the quality of their fabric? People seem to be posting more of it recently in this thread.

5. jerrybrowne

Actually, I was pretty impressed, especially for the price. Plus they are very easy to work with. The linens are just okay, however.

6. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Senior member

Quality is middling. The Dugdale / Fisher stuff is better at the same price.

7. Burton

Burton Senior member

I have suits made from most of the well known names that get thrown around here, the Huddersfield fabrics compare very well and the prices are very good. People should order and see for themselves. I think you will be impressed - if not your experiment wasn't all that costly.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  8. P-K-L

P-K-L Senior member

They have become a lot more expensive lately plus they stopped sending swatches. I agree regarding the linen - the HFW / Minnis linen is a lot better.

9. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

I agree with that.However, they are not getting cheap lately.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  10. S K M

S K M Senior member

Frankly, I don't think the pricing of LL cashmere is that insane. The Etna, as posted by tchoy, was 280 pounds pr. meter, which is no doubt a lot of money. However, compared to for example Harrison's Saltire bunch, which, if I remember correctly, is around 400 pounds pr. meter for a mere 11 oz, 280 pounds for 18 oz isn't that insane at all...

11. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

Yes, but with the Saltire you're paying for all the distributor mark-ups in between. In the case of the LL cloth, you're buying direct from the mill. That's a big difference.

While I appreciate what Alden is doing, and am the happy owner of 3 LL cloths, it amazes me how he has really desensitized members into paying high markups as a matter of course. Any way you cut it, 100 gbp / meter for a regular fabric is exorbitant.

12. Eustace Tilley

+1 - mediocre stuff. Rian Taylor also hopped from Dugdales to HC.com w/o informing me of the change, so I thought I was buying regular Dugdale / Fisher goods.

13. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

To me it sounds that you guys like the London lounge cloths but just don't like the price. The LL price is similar to what I have paid for Lesser. The fact that people are willing to pay the asked price means it is market price. Of course, that doesn't mean you have to like the market price.

14. Eustace Tilley

True, the price should be one that the market can bear, and he seems to have nailed that. I just remain amazed at the recalibration in customer expectations that seems to have taken place.

Btw, if you're paying that much for Lessers (other than Golden Bale), then you're getting cheated. I would suggest you explore alternate sources.

15. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

I was getting Lesser first via Jodek then Isles. My impression is that some people here have their own internal sources and don't necessarily go through the regular distribution channels.

16. gherrmann

gherrmann Senior member

I tend to look at it from this perspective: if a particular LL cloth is something I really can't find elsewhere, then I need to decide whether it's a cloth for which I'm willing to pay the tariff demanded. If a particular LL cloth is something for which there appears to be a reasonable substitute available in the marketplace, then the question becomes whether I prefer the alternative at its price over the LL offering at its price.

I realize this is stating the obvious a bit, but I do think that some of the LL offerings are more distinctive than others, and when Michael comes up with something that I both (1) like and (2) can't find elsewhere, I tend to be more willing to consider paying a price that is on the high side for "cloth" in general.

1 person likes this.
  17. Eustace Tilley

Yup, with Jodek / Isles and the like you're subject to distributor markups. If you choose to buy direct, or via a proxy, Lesser and Smiths are 45-55 gbp / meter.

ghermann: I agree. The 3 LL cloths I own are patterns that are hard to find elsewhere - the grey Agnelli windowpane, the RAF PoW Piuma, and a brown Shetland w/ blue windowpanes.

18. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

+1

19. haganah

haganah Senior member

It was silly to have made a completely separate thread about this as I am sure it'll be easier to get answers in here.

Kiton has a 14 micron super 180s fabric. If I wanted this in black, or something very similar, what are my options?

20. Eustace Tilley

I assume you want this for black tie? Are you just looking for something lightweight?