Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

Does anybody have any experience (or thoughts on) using H&S Sherrykash for pants? I had a coat made in a medium brown herringbone, and it just isn't working for me on its own. I was contemplating having matching pants made, because I think I'd get more use out of a suit. However, I'm worried that the fabric is just a little too delicate. This is the only example I've found of the fabric being used as a suit:
    http://thearmoury.tumblr.com/post/34023086432/lnsee-sherry-kash-in-the-city

2. Slickman

Slickman Senior member

I have a tie made out of it, but pants, I don't think thats going to work out too well, it will wear out pretty easy, tie is delicate enough, and pants will be worn much harder

3. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

Def would not get trousers from SherryKash

4. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

In that vein, I'm now told that they no longer carry the cloth I was going to buy from the Super 100s.

Guess people just don't want 11oz mid grey striped suiting anymore...

5. Eustace Tilley

Can someone please explain this cloth to me. The book calls it a "Cotton & Wool Weft Face Twill" (50% Wool and 50% Combed Cotton). Despite the description (and the curious introduction of cotton), it looks more or less like a traditional hopsack to me. The weight is also an impressive 410 grams / mtr.

Will this wear like a traditional hopsack? Is the cotton content a cause for concern?

[​IMG]

6. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

I just went through selecting a blue linen. Settled on a blue from Drapers linen book, they have a Cornwall blue that was too light for me but the one after it in the book was perfect. Don't go too dark for a suit like this.

7. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Thinking about getting a BlazerSuit[​IMG]. I already have a couple of year-round blazers in the closet, and a navy fresco in the works. Thus I'm leaning towards a slightly heavier, fall/ winter fabric. Flannel seems like it will wear through too quickly, especially since the Blazer part of the Suit will get much more wear. Any ideas for fabrics? Maybe just a slightly heavier serge?

Also doesn't have to be a fall/ winter appropriate fabric. Really open to anything.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013

8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm personally against any suiting that has cotton in it. I have found in the past it tends to fade and not hold up nearly as well as wool.

9. Eustace Tilley

Saxony would be a great choice. It has a far more interesting texture than a straight worsted, and boasts superior durability relative to flannel.

PB: The cotton / wool cloth is for an odd jacket, and not a suit (much like a hopsack).

10. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

Some of the heavier worsteds (13oz and up) tend to have interesting surface effects as well, which make them less "slick" looking than lighter fabrics. You could also consider something like a hopsack. Lesser 17oz has a very good one, as has the Dugdale formalwear bunch.

11. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

I'd lean towards a serge or hopsack. Something with some surface interest for sure.

What about just adding trousers for the navy fresco? Plus a vest to make it a 3-piece!

12. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

It takes a long time to wear out flannel. I am finally replacing my first flannel suit after 15+ years. And, really, it could go longer as long as I could look past the threadbare knees and elbows (which I could) but the styling is not quite exactly what I prefer today so I'd rather just get a new suit.

I would like hopsack better for a blazer suit than serge. You want some texture, and serge has too little IMO.

13. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

In a way, three-piece fresco sounds odd. One wears fresco because it is nice and cool, adding a vest layer would rather obviate that.

14. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

Manton, what flannel is that? Minnis?

I have a blazerSUIT like Vox's. With swappable buttons. I used Smith's Finnmeresco -- found it was casual enough as a blazer and, formal enough for a casually formal (I'm aware that's an oxymoron) occasion.

Never thought I would swap the buttons much since it was more of a novelty item, but it actually comes in handy when I want to travel light.

15. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

My old flannel I believe was Dormeuil, but I can't be certain my recollection is correct, it was ordered a long time ago.