1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. badsha

badsha Senior member

Please let me know if anyone has interest in Hemp/Wool fabric for a casual sport coat or suit. This would be a group buy and at cost.

1 person likes this.
  2. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

Marling & Evans?

I refuse to buy special runs for less than 100 gbp / meter. Is this counterfeit cloth? [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  3. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Dude, you're way to sensitive when people say anything not entirely complimentary about some shop / maker / jobber that you like.

People come here to exchange information and views. If you don't like what someone said, offer a different opinion, don't get all pouty because someone shared their view.

4. badsha

badsha Senior member

No Delfino. Italian Mill. Pricing would be 40 GBP per meter I believe. Havent worked out the logistics yet.

5. Eustace Tilley

Del Fino is a good mill, and that is a fair price. Any pics?

6. etkl

etkl Senior member

The first two posts were completely silent as to what TT knows or doesn't know and a fair reading of them is trhat they know. After all they know how Dormeuil is spelled and what its selvedge looks like. Moreover, if there is a legimate concern that TT is unknowingly selling cvounterfeit goods, PB would provide a much greater servivice to the SF community and to TT if he brought whatever info he has to TT's attention. He obviously hasn't done that because he doesn't have any proof and it is much easier repeat some bs he heard from an anonymous source on the net.

7. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I've spent a small fortune at Tip Top, FWIW--as it happens I am wearing a suit made from Tip Top cloth today. I have nothing but respect for them. I can't imagine they would knowingly cheat anyone. But it's still useful to know what potential traps are out there.

For intance, I've read a lot about counterfeit wine even though I really don't buy much wine at the level that is counterfeited But until reading this thread, I had no idea there was counterfiet cloth.

8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I didn't hear it on the internet, I heard it from people I know in person and also as far as I know it was brought to their attention. Still the fact remains that fakes are out there for people who don't have experience handling "real" cloth. Maybe you're just butthurt that you might be wearing some China fabric.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  9. etkl

etkl Senior member

I know that you are referring to Dario and still burning about our previous exchange ages ago. But this is a dispute of a different order. It's not a matter of what I like or don't like. It's about whether a business is cheating it's customers. Obviously the nuance is lost on you. In the real world difrerences of taste are treated differently that disputes about honesty.

10. badsha

badsha Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

This is the internet, it's more incumbent upon the reader to be discerning about information he encounters than the messenger to be worry about sharing information he hears. You're really pissing in the wind.

1 person likes this.
  12. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Dario still makes sucky trousers.

13. Eustace Tilley

+1

14. Eustace Tilley

Thanks, badsha. If you decide to go for the 1937 or 1938 (the last two), I am definitely in!

15. badsha

badsha Senior member

Hah. I was looking into both of those. 1938 is slightly darker. How would you make yours up?

16. Eustace Tilley

Def a 3 patch, with the 2 hip pockets with pleats.

17. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

I'm ordering my fresco shorts now. What do you think would be the proper weight? :D

18. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

For $100 it's not bad.

19. etkl

etkl Senior member

Gee, that really makes sense. I get ripped off and get pissed at you for warning people about counterfeit goods instead of getting mad at the person who ripped me off. I don't get ripped off because I know a lot about fabrics.

The fact remains you have no evidence that TT knowingly or unknowingly sells fake cloth. Yet you choose to post something on the internet that you heard from an anonymous source rather than walk ten blocks and raise that concern with TT directly. Sorry, in my world that's irresponsible and unfair.

Btw, my reference to Dario in my previous post was directed at CB, as I'm sure he knows.

20. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't care enough, nor is it my job to inform Tip Top of a practice that is their job to be on the up and up on. You're ignoring the fact that fakes exist completely and care more about that this didn't happen to me personally. Doesn't mean it didn't happen at all. I care more about bringing up something I heard (from a reliable source) to e-friends who I respect for sharing their knowledge. Like I said it was brought up to them. Why should I bring up something to a company who I have never been a customer of in the first place? I hear bad things about companies all of the time. Why do I have some duty to inform them of people saying bad things about them? Makes no sense. Also, if the source wasn't reliable I wouldn't have said anything. If you have a problem with it you go inform them as you are a customer, not me.