1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. tim_horton

tim_horton Senior member

Ditto.

2. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

EDIT: pls don't message me asking me to buy jacketings on your behalf. I'm not a cloth merchant. Just sharing pictures :)

Sherry Kash has some nice patterns for jacketings. Hopefully this helps some of you guys who find it hard to browse H & S's offering:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  3. DavidLane

DavidLane Senior member

Hello all,

I am looking to have a tailor make copies of some trousers and a jacket I have. I would love to just have them made Bespoke locally but for the time being I cannot meet the prices. I know that a quality fit is of the utmost importance, and that any price is worth the right fit, but I am hoping to cut down on my costs a bit.

I would want to start with one pair of Trousers and one sportcoat. From there I would expand based on the results. All pieces would be CMT as I have the cloth already to be shipped.

Not sure if this is the right place to post, if not please direct this newbie to the right place. Any suggestions, experiences, and or recommended tailors contacts would be great.

Thank you,

David-

4. forex

forex Senior member

Has anyone made up LL shirtings? Very tempted by a few of them but haven't had a chance to handle any of it, would be interested to hear out any feedback from users.

5. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Unbel has a pic of his somewhere.

6. S K M

S K M Senior member

Just recieved mine made up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

Looks like regular shirtings to me. Not sure about the feel of it, and how it wears etc.

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  8. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

Here is one of mine. The cloth is really nice, it's slightly heavier than G&R my default for linen shirtings.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  9. forex

forex Senior member

All of the above shirts look very nice, thanks for sharing those pictures. Tchoy, would you say that LL linen is too heavy for hottest summer days? You mentioned that it is slightly heavier and that was actually my concern with it. I want the linen shirt to have some body and not be thin and see through but knowing that LL fabrics are heavier, I fear it might be too heavy and stiff.

10. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

It not too heavy at all what I was trying say is the cloth has more body and it's thicker than other linen. I am sure in time after a few wash it will become lovely and soft. It's definitely not see through.
    I wore mine the past summer in Aus and I didn't hot at all and you all know how hot our summer gets.

11. forex

forex Senior member

Thanks, tchoy. That is good feedback, I will try to get a few shirtings. Any idea who makes LL linen shirtings? Which mill?

12. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

I don'e think you'll be disappointed with the cloth. Sent you a pm.

13. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Senior member

Completely agree with this. It's nice fabric albeit a bit pricey.

14. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

I've decided to be uncharacteristically realistic about what I'm likely to get made up in the next five years.

I have a jacketlength of the LL Coops 2 Tweed - in case anyone is interested.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd also sell my suitlength of the Slewfoot fresco. I love the stuff but a lighterweight brown suit doesn't quite fit into my life right now and probably won't for a while.

15. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Forex - what's the latest on the Breamish project?

16. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

The Coops2 is great, but does strike me as a suiting. Too bad you have only a coat length.

1 person likes this.
  17. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I assume you got the answer to your question, Forex. I know one person who has gotten the linen shirting directly from the mill in Ireland. My memory is a bit fuzzy, but he may have had to have it picked up locally or ordered by someone in the trade.

18. Slickman

Slickman Senior member

LL linen shirting is a bit $, your local shirtmaker may be able to get you something just as good for 1/3rd the price

19. bertie

bertie Senior member

I have an Acorn Price list from 2 years ago and the linen is 3 - 4 times the cost of many regular fabrics (and more the 160s). I have also seen linen for much less. I presume there is a quality difference but also branding likely influences the price.

Must say I find LL prices on the high side. Golden Bale is not much more.

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  20. Virchow

Virchow Well-Known Member

What does the LL shirting go for?