Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

what is michael alden's email contact for london lounge?

2. Panzeraxe II

Panzeraxe II Senior member

pm sent

3. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Mr. Despos posted this in the NSM thread, but I think it should be part of this thread

4. forex

forex Senior member

I have 4 meters of each of the following and willing to sell, they are both Minnis Fresco. One is Brown and the other is Wheat. Nice summer colors.
    [​IMG]

5. NorCal_1

NorCal_1 Senior member

QUESTION: do any of you know the guy who runs Bookster (tweed-jacket.com) by any chance (his name is Peter)?

last year they used to sell a brown/olive tweed called Taransay that was stunning. I ordered enough for a vest just to guage what it looked like before commiting to a larger order, was floored by what I received. When I went to order 10 metres more for a suit and a coat, it was sold out. I emailed the owner who told me that he couldn't promise that doing another run of it was possible because it might vary from the original 'recipe' and he didn't want to take the risk that I would buy an entire run and not be happy if it was different than what I had received in the previous run.

I've still not been able to find anything as good as this cloth. It still haunts me because I want a country/weekend suit made of this that I can use as separates. The depth of color is extremely unique it captures the entire range between brown and olive unlike like any I have ever seen since. There are at least 4 different colored yarns in it (brown, rust, olive and black) and possibly 5. The picture below doesn't do it justice. Most tweed uonly two two yarn colors; ie. black and brown or tan or gray or something to that effect. This one is VERY special. It's almost 3D

I'd like to see if somehow we could get a group buy going to do another run of it. Trust me when I tell you, it would be worth pursuing and it wasn't expensive on a per yard basis.

Please PM me if you know the owner, because we might need someone with a personal relationship to persuade him to do it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013

6. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

First of all, that would not be right as a suit.

Second, it looks EXACTLY like my Scabal shetland, which is also discontinued. I don't think the color is quite as unique as you may fear.

7. NorCal_1

NorCal_1 Senior member

^
    it isn't just the color, it's the 3D effect of the weave

I want to make a country suit out of it, Manton, not a business suit (ala NOBD's herringbone country suit)

Specifically, I want to give it to Mina to make a patch pocket sport coat + matching pants to wear together on weekends or as separates

re: Scabal, do you have a number for it so I can search their catalog? it's rare to find herringbone tweeds with 4 or 5 yarns used in the weave (rather than the usual 2)

there is a 3D effect when using so many diferrent color threads in a herringbone pattern that has to be seen to be appreciated, and I don't see may weavers using that many yarns any more.

I have swatches of it I can mail to you (PM me) if you really want to compare to yours. I kid you not, it's special. When I received the 1 metre I ordered as a sample I couldn't believe how beautiful it was and tried to order 10 metres immediately but found out it was gone. Try and count how many different color yarns are used in the Scabal piece you have. If it's only two or three, try to imagine how much better it would look wth 4 or 5 spanning the range between brown, rust and olive. Big difference

8. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

9. NorCal_1

NorCal_1 Senior member

Thanks for the suggestion, Eustice, but I'm afraid it still very different

look close -> the Malloy uses just two yarns - one olive and one brown - both with red Donegal flecks in them

the Taransay one I have from Bookster uses 4 or 5 yarns: one brown, one black, one rust, one olive and possibly even a 5th - another darker olive (hard to tell)

10. A Y

A Y Senior member

11. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Minnis and Fox both have nice ones. Not sure if there's one in the new LL Flannel book from Fox as well.

12. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Harrisons have two--

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Could have sworn that Minnis also had a couple but I can't seem to find them on the website.

13. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

There is, or was, a houndstooth flannel in the Harrison book. Nay and matt both got it made by Rubinacci.

14. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

There was a houndstooth flannel from Fox , can't see it now on the online store, you may have to contact them and check.

15. tchoy

tchoy Senior member