1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

I don't really make over-the-top special requests, definitely not on the first order, but what I do like to know is, for instance, what the tailor thinks the ideal length of the coat should be, lapel width, or even the 'general' silhouette that they'll cut for me on my coat. And on DBs, the amount of overlap for instance. More certainty that way.

I don't mean just at the first consultation though, but throughout the ordering process (inclusive of the various fittings). I don't really talk about technical stuff. More like I like to know what are the styling details that are the default, and what I'd want differently. For instance, I know English tailors typically make patch pockets that don't have very rounded edges, and I'd specify that I prefer patch pockets with more rounded edges. Or more belly on the lapels etc.

Do people not make these sorts of stylistic requests?

But you're quite right that specifying too much can be a huge disaster (especially when picking up stuff online), and I've typically reminded myself to take my hands-off and let them do their thing.

English patch pockets:

http://www.styleforum.net/content/type/61/id/819560/[img][/SPOILER]

Italian's:

[SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!][img]http://cdn.styleforum.net/1/1a/1a189732_6244894032_78f5afb28d_z.jpeg[img][/SPOILER]

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  2. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Interesting. On your jacket, the breast pocket seems to be floating off in space, but on the other Steeds I've seen, the corner just touches the lapel.

3. forex

forex Senior member

This is by default, all mine are placed farther away and don't cross with the lapel. You could almost say that the placement is lower.

4. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

It's partly that my PS has fallen to the outer extremity of the pocket, but the pocket is farther out than other coats I have.

5. unbelragazzo

But also the Steed lapel roll is higher than, for instance, the NsM coats I have, which are more a pure 3r2. So the breast pocket may look farther out for this reason also.

6. bboysdontcryy

Maybe he was trying to match the patterns. I've seen a few in the wild, in plain fabrics, and I recall the pockets placed closer.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  7. unbelragazzo

On the silhouette, I try to do enough research on the firm ahead of time that I have a pretty good idea how their jackets are shaped. Length, DB overlap buttoning point, lapel height, etc., can be adjusted at fitting. But if I want something much different, I just go to a different tailor.

2 people like this.
  8. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  9. bboysdontcryy

Have put the cart before the horse by buying these fabrics before asking about them, but if anybody has experience with Dormeuil Amadeus' Jacketing range, input would be appreciated.It matters because I'll give it to a different tailor depending on how it'll make up. I find it near impossible to find brighter shades and more defined checks from HFW, Lesser, Harrison's etc at the sweet 10-11 oz spot, and so turned to Dormeuil for jacketing.

Bought jacketing lengths of these today:

1)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3)

[​IMG]

4)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  10. bertie

bertie Senior member

No personal experience - would be interested in what othr people have to say. May I ask your source?

11. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

First two are not bad, last three look like suiting to me.

12. bboysdontcryy

The last is the same as the fourth, though it appears different.

The third looks like this below, except as opposed to the brown being woven against a white background, it's woven against navy.

[​IMG]

13. bboysdontcryy

I'd have to silence you if I told you. :rotflmao:

JK. You can buy them from Dormeuil, though I only do CMT when visiting tailors who are not likely to have the fabrics I want. I'm going to HK in June so I'm probably going to bring these there to have a tailor make it up, or I'll have Mina make them up. I purchase them from all over -- from friends, and mostly from tailors who get preferential trade prices.

Link to catalogue here -- http://www.dormeuil.com/en/cloth-collection/detailed-collection/best-sellers/amadeus-jacketings/

*There's smth seriously wrong with this forum. I type catalogue and it tells me it's a spelling error and that the correct spelling should be 'catalog'. Bah!

14. bertie

bertie Senior member

Thanks - silence can be golden....

I do almost all CMT with my local tailor as well so am always looking for potential sources of good fabric.

15. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

These look great:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

This.

17. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

One more piece of pre-Harrsions H. Lesser tropical worsted left for sale. Please see my sig.

18. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Is there a tangible difference in the pre and post Harrison tropicals?

19. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

In my experience, no.

20. poorsod

poorsod Senior member