1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

Quote:Their NY-based distributor has the chambray in stock, so it's being shipped locally.

1 person likes this.
  2. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

I just bought enough end-of-the roll Regent's Park Check from Dashing Tweeds to make me a jacket something very like this:

[​IMG]

Yum.

3. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

4. FlyingMonkey

I won't pretend it's to everyone's taste but it's beautiful fabric and I can get away with it.. :)

5. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Really??:)

6. deelee

deelee Member

Great stuff. Have actually been eyeing that fabric on DT as well, glad someone over here has got it. Hopefully will get to see some pics of it made up in due time! :slayer: Just noticed your avatar is a swatch of another DT fabric. Lovely that too!

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  7. apropos

apropos Senior member

Looks like something you would find in Marks & Sparks in the 70s.

8. FlyingMonkey

Now you're just being silly...

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  9. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

Do they often tailor well? I saw a ultra heavy Dashing Tweed on the display of Davies & Son.

The one FM purchased is their lightweight 10oz wool and cashmere tweed isn't it?

10. Simon A

Simon A Member

Go the Full Monty. Trousers too!

11. FlyingMonkey

End-of-roll means there isn't enough cloth for that. I might be able to manage shorts, but from there it's a very short trip to the Creepy Sartorial Images thread! [​IMG] In any case, it's probably a bit much to have more than one piece in this fabric, even for me...

This one is lighter weight. I have a three-piece in one of their heavyweight fabrics and it's fantastic. I will of course report back with pictures. I intend to get this made up by a tailor in Tokyo this summer.

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  12. yasu10s

yasu10s Well-Known Member

Could i ask u which tailor u use in tokyo?

13. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

So you do recommend their heavier weight stuff? Pricy but worth it?

Tokyo has lots of good tailors, excellent taste, I presume you also speak fluent Japanese?

14. FlyingMonkey

I speak passable Japanese, but I'll probably have to take my wife along for detailed discussions with tailors!

On DT - yes, I do, the quality of the cloth is amazing and there really isn't anything like their range in terms of the designs and colours. But they tend to be bold, and for some people that's just anathema from the start.

15. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

Your wife might not even be aware of the technical jargon that tailors use. I don't know for certain, but what forum members characterize as drape might well mean something else to these tailors. Showing pictures would probably be easier, I think. I've been to Naples to bespeak stuff and, boy, given the language barrier, was it a challenge.

16. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

I am yet to find a female who are willing to step into a tailor shop with me.
    Nonetheless, enjoy your trip to Japan soon.

At the moment, what they have are far too light for me. I shall wait for next season.

17. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

I actually like bold tweeds that are, or at least look, more traditional but I can't help but recoil at everything I've seen from Dashing. Can't figure out what makes the difference for me - maybe the prominence of pink and purple as opposed to more earth-toney bright colors.

18. FlyingMonkey

Fair enough. I happen to like a bit of pink and purple. But some of their more recent stuff is a lot more earthy - the Shetland and Explorer cloths in particular.

More to your liking will be the vintage Reid & Taylor tweed I just picked up form this forum... looks really nice. Now that will be a suit...

[​IMG]
    (thanks, bboysdontcryy!)

19. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

Despite being 90% sure about my cotton-cashmere trousering being Draper's, I was 100% wrong. Which was liable to happen 10% of the time. It's actually Scabal. I just had the fitting this morning, and it's fantastic. Makes up really beautifully, with a nice, soft, hand, and an easy drape - doesn't have the awkward zig-zagginess of the way 100% cotton falls. Highly recommend.

20. forex

forex Senior member

Did you get anything completed by Steed yet? Pics? Feedback?