1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Are you certain this isn't because the hot iron is causing certain blue warp yarns to melt?

5 people like this.
  2. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Cotton shrinks and stretches, not always evenly. I don't understand why you have so much trouble accepting this.

3. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I see what you mean but I also think that tailors, with their professional irons, are a lot more handy with cloth than you or me. I suspect they could get it in shape without too much effort.

4. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

The shirtmaker usually only draws the pattern on the cloth and cuts it out, if he even does that. He's not going to iron it himself.

And in the case of solid or unpatterned fabric it's going to be harder, not easier, to get it straight before doing that.

Here's Kabbaz (who is pretty much infallible on the subject of shirts, we all know):

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/...ptor-Pre-Washing-Shirt-Fabric-Is-It-Essential

5. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

1 person likes this.
  6. LOLHALO

LOLHALO Member

[COLOR=FF00AA]Hi guys,

I would be in Florence, Italy. For two weeks starting from 15/04/13 onwards.

Could i kindly request if anyone is willing to share the contact details of Zegna or Loro Piana fabric suppliers?
    [/COLOR]

Thanks!

7. apropos

apropos Senior member

If people ekeing out a living likely barely above the poverty line in India can pre-wash and (gasp) iron my patterned poplins and voiles properly, then it's a non-issue. Unless of course some first world tailor wants to play it up so that he can justify charging you $500 a shirt.

It's a oh my latte is too hot type when its freshly made problem - i.e. a non-problem. The amount of focus you're giving it, heck the fact that you're even focusing on it, is IMO pretty ridiculous.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  8. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Why do you want to talk about India, where labor is cheap and they probably do that out of necessity because they often deal with unsanforized (i.e., not preshrunk) fabrics? You generally don't need to prewash fabric after it's been preshrunk by the mill in a way that carefully keeps it straight and stable to be worked with. Shirtmakers know it's still going to shrink more. They'll preshrink the collar fabric (much more rigorously than just washing it once or twice) and put an allowance into the rest of the shirt.

And all I said was that you ought to ask your tailor before you screw with the cloth you bring him. You're the one who's talking out of his posterior trying to find some reason to ignore good advice.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  9. dan'l

dan'l Senior member

Has anyone purchased cloth from Caccioppoli before? I requested fabric samples and they were very prompt in sending them to me. I am now getting ready to place my order and was told that I can only pay via bank transfer. I believe they are reputable, but it made me wonder how I would pay for my purchase if I were ever to visit them in Naples, i.e. would I have to buy the cloth in cash? I can understand "cash only" for smaller operations, but I was under the impression that they were quite large.

10. marcodalondra

marcodalondra Senior member

Yes they are quite big, but set up to deal with tailors and distributors that would pay by cheque or bank transfer. Individual clients would pay by cash or debit card ( I believed I used a card there once, cannot remember though).

11. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
    2 people like this.
  12. lychyrychy

lychyrychy Senior member

New suit.
    Huddersfieldcloth - BLUE MOHAIR PLAIN (240 grams / 8 Oz)

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

I'm curious - how reasonable is their pricing? They have some lovely sportcoatings.

14. bertie

bertie Senior member

I ordered some fabric from them and service was great. Had to pay with bank transfer but transaction was smooth. Would love to visit their shop in person as the photos on their blog show a large selection.

15. bespokenfor

bespokenfor Active Member

Not a very well crafted piece by crompton.

16. bertie

bertie Senior member

17. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Has anyone bought the guide?

18. terrorsquad

terrorsquad Senior member

I have it.To be honest, its the same as the guide that Apropos has linked

19. Slickman

Slickman Senior member

Anyone have any recommendations for cream dinner jacket fabric. I received 2 samples from smiths and 1 from lessers, none of them really wow me, maybe it will look different when made up, any suggestions?

20. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

Have balls, go for linen or silk.

1 person likes this.