• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

etkl

Reaction score

Looks like it comes in a nice selection of colors.
This one could make a cool, though somewhat different, raincoat--

I wonder if they sell retail to the public.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Barbour, Lost World and Orvis also have sold items made out of ventile. Ebay and ebay uk usually list a few ventile pieces.
Yes, but I was wondering if I could buy the cloth direct from the website and provide it to my tailor.

The Cinnamon is a bit aggressive for my taste - the Stone looks quite nice.

gsugsu

Reaction score

Yes, but I was wondering if I could buy the cloth direct from the website and provide it to my tailor.

The Cinnamon is a bit aggressive for my taste - the Stone looks quite nice.

I believe you can buy directly from them; they have a contact form on the website. In the U.S., Wiggy's sells Ventile directly but he has a limited selection of colours. I have purchased from him before. Just call him and he usually answers the phone.

http://www.wiggys.com

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ Thanks

gsugsu

Reaction score

Interesting. Did you buy direct from their website? If so, what weight / color?

The L 24 is the typical weight that most RTW garments are made from (single Ventile). I have an older Maharishi - yes Maharishi - shooting jacket in L19 and I had a parka made in it too and much prefer it over the L 24. It is a bit heavier and more bombproof but still would be suitable for a trench or mac. Problem is L 19 has fewer colours available so I don't know if the stone or cinnamon is available in it.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The L 24 is the typical weight that most RTW garments are made from (single Ventile). I have an older Maharishi - yes Maharishi - shooting jacket in L19 and I had a parka made in it too and much prefer it over the L 24. It is a bit heavier and more bombproof but still would be suitable for a trench or mac. Problem is L 19 has fewer colours available so I don't know if the stone or cinnamon is available in it.

Thanks - very helpful.

Doesn't The Armoury sell Grenfell trenchoats?

sprout2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am watching this thread closely as I was considering the same raincoat question and was looking at Ventile. The olivey-green shades are also excellent. If you are a hard size to fit, you know the impossibility of finding a good raincoat RTW. Overkill or not, this is what bespoke is there for. I will say that some of the Italian silk raincoats tend to be easier to fit and also wear like a dream.

Re: ventile, the special instructions regarding stitching seem pretty crazy though, but not impossible.

Someone please chime in if you find a source for Ventile swatches. It looks great on paper, but I hope it's not too heavy-duty canvaslike. I have bad memories of armor-like bonded Mackintosh coats. The L24 looks good.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The only time I've seen one done bespoke was in Corvato's shop. He said he took a regular cotton drill and Scotchguarded it.
I asked how waterproof it was and he just shrugged his shoulders.
Maybe the Loro Piana storm system farbics? Though I've never seen those in a book, only made up as RTW coats.
Given that they usually have raglan sleeves, I'm not sure a trench coat is the sort of thing that really lends itself to bespoke. Certainly not at a price similar to that of a canvassed coat with set in shoulders.

seen waterproof fabrics at tip top.

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick question: I'm going to bespeak my wedding suit (stroller), and I had been looking at Dugdale's new fine worsted and Lesser tropical. Does anyone have experience with both and how do they compare?

terrorsquad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I think the NFW performs very well. Dry and matte, and a tad heavier than the Lesser. Lesser has the prestige but in terms of performance, the NFW is not inferior.

I have suits in both (NFW, old Lesser/new Lesser) and in terms of performance, Lesser's have an edge. But I agree, NFW is not that inferior

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads