• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

KJ - look at the Donegals from W. Bill and Molloy if you can. Good stuff.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Apologies if I missed an appropriate suggestion above but I was looking for advice on where to find a navy donegal jacketing (SC not a suit)
I am looking for a cloth appropriate for a staple winter SC
When sitting with Dino he showed me some interesting 13g options from Cacciopoli and Ariston books but the swatches didn't appear to have enough "flecks" on them for my taste (perhaps it was just the luck of that particular swatch).
I am not married to the idea of donegal and would also like to hear any other recommendations for a staple navy winter SC
Thanks in advance
KJ

Molloy + Sons has some great navy donegals. Priced reasonably as well.

Last edited:

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can anyone recommend a good waterproof fabric for making into a trench coat?

The only time I've seen one done bespoke was in Corvato's shop. He said he took a regular cotton drill and Scotchguarded it.

I asked how waterproof it was and he just shrugged his shoulders.

Maybe the Loro Piana storm system farbics? Though I've never seen those in a book, only made up as RTW coats.

Given that they usually have raglan sleeves, I'm not sure a trench coat is the sort of thing that really lends itself to bespoke. Certainly not at a price similar to that of a canvassed coat with set in shoulders.

gsugsu

Reaction score

The only time I've seen one done bespoke was in Corvato's shop. He said he took a regular cotton drill and Scotchguarded it.
I asked how waterproof it was and he just shrugged his shoulders.
Maybe the Loro Piana storm system farbics? Though I've never seen those in a book, only made up as RTW coats.
Given that they usually have raglan sleeves, I'm not sure a trench coat is the sort of thing that really lends itself to bespoke. Certainly not at a price similar to that of a canvassed coat with set in shoulders.

How about Ventile? It is cotton and very weatherproof. It can be purchased directly from the factory. It comes in a variety of weights and colours. It is all but waterproof when its in double form. Only drawback is that it is difficult to hand sew. It also requires a specific thread and double lapped seams. But, it will last forever, is relatively light, breathes and is also windproof.

KayJay85

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice on Donegals
I visited the respective websites and the images are limited so if anyone has a recommendation other than going to source (which I hope to do with W Bill in Jan) please do chime in

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

How about Ventile? It is cotton and very weatherproof. It can be purchased directly from the factory. It comes in a variety of weights and colours. It is all but waterproof when its in double form. Only drawback is that it is difficult to hand sew. It also requires a specific thread and double lapped seams. But, it will last forever, is relatively light, breathes and is also windproof.

It is awesome stuff. I have it on a non-bespoke Invertere jacket.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
It is awesome stuff. I have it on a non-bespoke Invertere jacket.

Interesting. Did you buy direct from their website? If so, what weight / color?

etkl

Reaction score
Corvato actually made a topcoat for me out of LP Storm System cashmere. It has set shoulders and looks and performs very well, especially in the rain. I got the cloth from Tip Top, which also used to carry a similar fabric from Zegna.

Ventile is great but I've only seen it sold as stand-alone fabric a couple of times over the years.

etkl

Reaction score

Interesting. Did you buy direct from their website? If so, what weight / color?

Barbour, Lost World and Orvis also have sold items made out of ventile. Ebay and ebay uk usually list a few ventile pieces.

etkl

Reaction score
Grenfell cloth also served much the same purpose as ventile.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looks like it comes in a nice selection of colors.

This one could make a cool, though somewhat different, raincoat--

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads