1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

I'm not sure what the consensus is, but I would not use suiting fabrics for an odd jacket (unless the suiting is a navy hopsack or serge and I want to have a blazer made). On the other hand, I would use jacketings to make casual suits if they are strong enough for pants. [​IMG]

The "odd jacket" above looks like a suit jacket to me. If you want to have windowpane for an odd jacket, maybe use a colour that is not commonly seen on suits (which might just happen to be on a jacketing book), but not navy or grey.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  2. dan'l

dan'l Senior member

Is that because suiting fabric is too smooth/shiny/whatever and may look a bit funny made up as an odd jacket? Or perhaps it's the generally conservative patterns and tones of suiting cloth?

Yes, it might be part of a suit (those guys are from Ring Jacket). However, I have definitely seen sport coats from RJ in navy blue windowpane, though not up close to determine the weave (i.e. hopsack, etc.).

3. Gruto

Gruto Senior member

The Steadfast navy blue hopsack made up:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

I'm still not sure myself. Spring/summer wool odd jackets are generally worsted, just like suits, but the pattern and colour is what makes them distinguishable. I guess it is a mix of both things, and maybe a navy windowpane might work as an odd jacket, but I think it would just be safer to think of it as a suit.

5. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

I may just get both. I had initially wanted to get one blue and one gray but those two are le shit.

6. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thanks Gruto - it looks sturdy.

7. Victor Elfo

Victor Elfo Senior member

Out for shopping today with my girlfriend, we visited a local weaver reseller looking for a dark blue donegal tweed. What do you think of the swatches bellow?

[​IMG]

jacketings

[​IMG]

coating

8. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

I like the one on the left, it will be a FU coat, no doubt.

9. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Senior member

top right for jacket and herringbone for coat......

10. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

Anyone knows if Smiths makes a lighter version of this cloth.

11. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

You can find such pattern in other big name's summer worsted book. Does it need to be Smith Woollens?

12. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Lighter weight? Smith has 11 and 12/13oz books in various levels of fineness.

13. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Does anyone have any experience with Dugdale Royal Classics Navy Herringbones?

I'm torn between the standard navy herringbone, and the "wider" navy herringbone - was hoping someone would have real life picture of something made up in either of them?

Wider
    [​IMG]

Standard
    [​IMG]

Light Navy Narrow
    [​IMG]

Hoping for a width something like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

^ Does Dugdales still offer RC? I was under the imp[ression they phased it out

15. Gruto

Gruto Senior member

I'm not sure you can. The Steadfast is made from a natural blend of fine and coarse wool fibers, which is not common today, as I understand. I spoke with the owner about it, when i visited their basement in London.

16. Gruto

Gruto Senior member

Don't do it. It is too loose and soft for being a good city suiting. Choose Smith's Botany, Scabal, Lesser or some other validated workhorse fabric.

17. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

Thanks! I will check it out.

It doesn't have to be Smith I do like the look of the Steadfast but 14/15 oz will be a bit heavy for wearing in Sydney.

18. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

That is utter bullshit, Royal Classic is very good range of cloth in decent price.

19. Gruto

Gruto Senior member

Well, it is my honest opinion based on experience. The Royal Classic is not as wellmade as Smith' Botany and Scabal's classic range. But, feel free to buy the Royal Classic.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  20. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

Just from my own knowledge. May I ask whether you have the newer stock? because most of my RC suits are from old times (3-4 years ago), and I have been told that their new stock is pretty soft. My old stuff are pretty weighty and dense like Woollen's Bothay.

I don't doubt the new royal classic is not as good as it is used to be.