Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. quar

quar Senior member

What are people using for Summer odd-trousers?

About to put in a large order with Chan, and can't decide on the JJ Minnis High-Twist Fresco versus the 2-ply Fresco.

I've found that the High-Twist Fresco holds a good crease, and hangs OK, without too much bagging. Anyone care to comment on whether the 2-ply is that much more durable or easier to tailor?

2. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

I'd recommend seeing if Chan can get a hold of Brisbane Moss fabrics. Some of their lightweight cottons and linens are as good as it gets.

3. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

How about ordering one of each and letting us know? :)
    I love the two-ply. And people here say the high twist wears significantly cooler. But I've hesitated to try it due to Will's post that it bags at the knee. Not sure if you or others have experienced this.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012

4. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

They are both high twist but one is a tad heavier. The heavier one drapes better IME and has nicer surface interest. The lighter weight one wears very cool. Perfect for muggy 30+ Celsius environment. If it's 30+ Celsius and dry, I'd go for the heavier one.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012

5. quar

quar Senior member

I have a suit in the high-twist, which was delivered with 2 pairs of trousers. In my experience, when wearing the trousers, there is not much bagging at all for such a light fabric. They wear fairly cool too.

I saw some Ambrosi's at The Armoury made in the 2-ply, and was tempted to use the heavier fabric for my next order. Might give it a crack and report back. The increased durability is appealing in my mind, as these will be a work-horse trouser.

6. forex

forex Senior member

2-ply might be durable but don't fool yourself, they are not ideal for summer. Whoever says that 2-ply fresco is good for summer is out of his mind.

7. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

I didn't realize there was a distinction - there's only one Minnis fresco book, right?

I mean it's all high twist by virtue of being fresco I thought.

8. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I have a suit of that lightweight minnis and it performs fine. FWIW, Will told me I was crazy to get it but I am happy with it.

9. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

Picked these up today from the Holland and Sherry Remnant sale.

Trousering lengths went for 20 pounds and up, and 3.2 m suit lengths started from 45 pounds and up, though most went for more, but still below 100 pounds.

[​IMG]

Light weight flannel, khaki cotton twill, grey with subtle diamond weave, steel blue herringbone, and chalk stripe number

10. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

The diamond weave and herringbone look quite interesting.

11. bboysdontcryy

12. tim_horton

tim_horton Senior member

I have a blazer in the lighter (high twist) fresco that is quarter lined and looks very crisp after a day of wearing, and I'm pretty hard on it. I have a suit in the high twist and a suit in the 2-ply being made up, for next summer... So in half a year or so I can give you a head-to-head comparison. :)

13. bboysdontcryy

Any feedback on the Finmeresco? I opted to use that instead of the rougher Minnis Fresco. But have no idea how they tailor and hold their shape over time.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012

14. Lovelace

Lovelace Senior member

Fresco is fine in summer if there is a breeze blowing. If not, you're pretty much stuffed no matter what cloth type. Its ditch the jacket time.

Personally, I find panama/plain weaves like Harrisons' Frontier a better option than Fresco. Better hand, nicer/more patterns and more colours. A more refined looking cloth in my opinion.

15. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I much prefer wearing my lightweight minnis fresco suits than the heavier one. I don't even wear the heavier one in the summer. I'm also quite happy with the crispaire, although not as open as the fresco

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012