• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Looks fun! I wonder if 4 buttons might be better for that design. I also may make the bottom half of the lapel a bit wider, more like a pea coat. Speaking of pea coat, why not just go double breasted to make it uber warm?

4 Buttons might be the way to go. As far as peacoat, I've got a decent one I like already, and I think that the cloth will just be too warm (if you can imagine that)...thats how heavy it was.

NYR, I remember seeing you in a Phineas Cole overcoat in a post awhile back, which looked DOPE! However I'm sure it was very pricey...did you ever pull the trigger on it?

I was actually using that cut as the model for this bespoke piece, but the fabrics too thick for the fly front, so I think exposed buttons would not jive with the sleekness of the rest of the coat.

I like the look and prefer keeping my hands warm with straight pockets with flaps rather than slanted pockets.
Agree w/ Slewfoot that moar / smaller. Uttons might look better.
What sort of cloth? A thick melton?

The cloth is this super heavy piece made in England in the early 1930s. Real unique, I think its up further in the thread.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Overcoat:
IMG_3743.jpg

IMG_3744.jpg

998e1342.jpg

Here's the styling (from Phineas Cole Fall 2012)
522cf1bb.jpg

Asked for a lower button point (not much) and slightly lower peak lapels with roped shoulders. Fabric is Made in England, circa 1936, couldn't believe I found it. Weight is something like I've never felt before, heavier than anything I own or have ever handled. If I had to guess, i'd say it's well over 30oz.

I see said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw.

Are you going for something a little shorter than the Paul Stuart coat?

GucciKid

Reaction score
I'm looking for a tweed recommendation close to this fabric:

Any recommendations?

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not tweed, but the Dugdale English Classics bunch has a 14oz fuzzy-finish brown houndstooth. Marling and Evans also has a few brown houndstooth patterns in their Lambswool Blend selection.

Last edited:

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
G C you are correct. the one on the left reminds me of the stuff i wore in high school from the family's army & Navy surplus store.
bought at the last remaining fabric store on orchard street. might even make one for myself.
we washed and dried it. it feels good.

Photo taken with my cell phone!

emptym

Reaction score
Ah, so the one on the right is the one you're making me from the old chambray you had lying around? :)

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any recommendations for a suiting fabric in a birdseye type pattern like GDL's below that breathes very well, but also drapes and holds its shape nicely? Probably around 12oz. Thinking a bright navy hopsack. I'd even be fine with the birdseye pattern being larger scaled.

IMG01402-20121001-0842mm.jpg

IMG01401-20121001-0831m.jpg

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^ Dugdale Royal Classics (120z.) has a stunning navy birdseye.

Thanks! Is it somewhat like a hopsack in terms of breathability? Or are birdseyes in general similar to hopsacks in that regard? I just want anything too heavy since I'll generally be working in it. And when I say working that's not at a desk, but basically doing wine service and on my feet all the time which gets hot quickly.

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm afraid not - its a regular worsted, and not a hopsack. I don't believe I have ever seen a hopsack weave that incorporates a birdseye pattern, but perhaps someone else could chime in.

12oz. really isn't that heavy - maybe you could get it half-lined?

Last edited:

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm afraid not - its a regular worsted, and not a hopsack. I don't believe I have ever seen a hopsack weave that incorporates a birdseye pattern, but perhaps someone else could chime in.
12oz. really isn't that heavy - perhaps you could get it half-lined?

Yeah, I'd do half lining regardless most likely. I'll check out the book. You never know until you see it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads