• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yay for gray donegal!

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, I have a length of mid grey/dark grey PoW Johnston cashmere with a blue overcheck that is as yet unfunded.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In the case of brokencycle's fabric, my objection is that the colors seem spring-like, but it's a fall/winter fabric. Could be the photo, but that's my first reaction.

That's definitely part of it.

The other thing is that it's too sedate. Not enough interest in the grey (unlike a Donegal) and too soft (unlike a heavy tweed). The pattern is way too much for a suit butnot quite enough for a SC.

I think Matt had posted (a long while ago) a cashmere SC that looked like TV static - I recommend something like that for cashmere.

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why doesn't a gray sportcoat with navy pants work like a navy sportcoat with gray pants work?

It's sometimes difficult to pair up a tie with a grey sportscoat and get some kind of congruence with your trousers. The contrast is usually too jarring.

Looking back through some of my old posts in WAYWN I can see a few failed attempts. Difficult to explain but trousers and tie usually end up forming a "colour block". Does that make sense?

I've found that dark grey Donegal tends to be a little easier to match up.

Last edited:

brokencycle

Reaction score
I understand that all won't like grey coats, and I accept that. I also appreciate the comments. So it seems, excluding those who categorically reject grey jackets, seem to not like it because of the light purple checks being a spring color but the cashmere being a winter/fall fabric?

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That's my objection, yes. I think someone also thought it was too bold for a suiting and not bold enough for an odd jacket. I don't think I agree with that.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I understand that all won't like grey coats, and I accept that. I also appreciate the comments. So it seems, excluding those who categorically reject grey jackets, seem to not like it because of the light purple checks being a spring color but the cashmere being a winter/fall fabric?

There isn't enough contrast. Lite grey with white and pale lilac all gets washed out.

To put it another way, what will you pair it with? Dark grey or navy pants will overpower the jacket and make it look even more like a solid (and I don't think anyone could love a solid grey SC).

So you're left with white / cream (or lilac if you're into matching like that...). That will look pretty good but it's distinctive enough to be an 'oh, you're wearing that again' sort of outfit.

I think you'd get ore mileage out of a grey flannel suit with a white windowpane. Or even an SC like this that permanent style highlighted--

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-v5M7NtPKnZA/UFHh91w5uYI/AAAAAAAADns/Q0-apoxOlIU/s1600/ps-f12_p7.jpg

From
http://www.permanentstyle.co.uk/2012/09/paul-stuarts-wondrous-autumn-colours.html

But I'm boring to a fault and even if I weren't, my opinion won't and shouldn't diminish your enjoyment of that SC-to-be.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looking for some thoughts on this:

I had originally planned to do my winter overcoat s/b, peak lapel, fly front and hacking pockets with a ticket. I just got a call, and my tailor said that the fabric was so thick, that a fly front would not look clean on it. So, I was thinking something like this instead:

KGrHqFlMEHKQjFBrBP2Np-sl0Q60_35.jpg

It will be cut as a casual coat, to be worn without a sport jacket underneath...

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks fun! I wonder if 4 buttons might be better for that design. I also may make the bottom half of the lapel a bit wider, more like a pea coat. Speaking of pea coat, why not just go double breasted to make it uber warm?

tlfactor

Reaction score
NYR, I remember seeing you in a Phineas Cole overcoat in a post awhile back, which looked DOPE! However I'm sure it was very pricey...did you ever pull the trigger on it?

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looking for some thoughts on this:
I had originally planned to do my winter overcoat s/b, peak lapel, fly front and hacking pockets with a ticket. I just got a call, and my tailor said that the fabric was so thick, that a fly front would not look clean on it. So, I was thinking something like this instead:
KGrHqFlMEHKQjFBrBP2Np-sl0Q60_35.jpg

It will be cut as a casual coat, to be worn without a sport jacket underneath...

I like the look and prefer keeping my hands warm with straight pockets with flaps rather than slanted pockets.

Agree w/ Slewfoot that moar / smaller. Uttons might look better.

What sort of cloth? A thick melton?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads