• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Jmr928

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the configuration on the seersucker suit?
Neapolitan maker, 1/4 lined, 3R2, spalla, barchetta, patch pockets, 10.5cm lapels, 3B on sleeve, navy MOP buttons, slightly lower gorge and slightly more open quarters. 1 reverse pleat with side adjusters and cut for braces, 4.5cm turn ups, 20cm leg opening for trousers.

Jmr928

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice. I've been eyeing that fabric for a while.
It has been at the top of my list. I did end up looking at at maybe 5 or 6 navy seersuckers total in cotton, wool, blends and really wanted a less expensive option to work since the Mare bunch isn’t inexpensive but I’ve gotta say there was just nothing else like it. I’m really excited to see how it turns out and is when it’s made up.

FlowableFill

Reaction score
I looked at this fabric as well as the loro piana you're using.

I liked the texture of the LP fabric more. Just have to fund the project now. It's next on my list.

Markus W

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Is there a functional reason as to why makers will leave the shoulder basting in when shipping to a customer? I’ve had one jacket with and another without on more than one occasion by more than one maker. More curious than anything.
It´s for show as a sign how well made the garment is and only highly skilled artists can do something like that... :rolleyes:
And maybe for some online retailers to prevent the dreadful "I need it once for an event and then return it" customer from ordering.

The manufacturer I´m working with let´s you choose if you want basting or not. I never order it with basting. It just bugs me to remove it.

JHWilliams

Reaction score
I looked into it. Nice cut, but looks less draped than Steed, and especially old A&S.
This is about as full Scholte drape as you can get. One of my fittings with Steven Hitchcock. A 720 gram estate tweed and lady sanfelice Drapers flannel

Attachments

Sreezy36

Reaction score
This is about as full Scholte drape as you can get. One of my fittings with Steven Hitchcock. A 720 gram estate tweed and lady sanfelice Drapers flannel
those coats look like they will be extremely soft and comfortable. Lots of drape.

what cloth did you use for the chalk stripe?

JHWilliams

Reaction score
those coats look like they will be extremely soft and comfortable. Lots of drape.

what cloth did you use for the chalk stripe?
Drapers Lady SanFelice VBC woolen flannel.

I also commissioned this Minnis Grey Flannel. I love them both.

Steven also was fortunate to get his hands on the 250th anniversary new Fox Flannel Bunch. 10 percent cashmere 90 percent merino. I couldn’t resist. I ordered a two piece medium grey flannel from this exquisite bunch.

Attachments

JHWilliams

Reaction score
As far as I am concerned, Mistral is a jacketing cloth. Weave is prominent and loose. Not so great for pants. The Bateman ones are of similar weave or finer?
Your run of Minnis Rangoon POW in the hands of Steven Hitchcock. Buggy lined double breasted. I’m shocked at how well it drapes for the weight.

Attachments

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All great choices. September in North Italy is a crapshoot. May be around 30oC or below 20oC. If you want to consider lightweight fabrics, Fresco by Hardy Minnis offers some beautiful navy options, from mock lenos to textured and plain fabrics: https://shop.hfwltd.com/collection/55

Scratchy as hell but I enjoy it. Not for everybody.
https://shop.hfwltd.com/media/pieces/510244.jpg

a couple of fabric books recommendations, all are mid-weight:

Holland and Sherry - Cape Horn
Smith Woollens - Finmeresco (high twist)
Smith Wollens - Botany
Harrisons - Oyster

Drapers - Ascot (high twist, has some crossover with Finmeresco)
Drapers - Five Stars
VBC - 110s Perennial
Fox Bros - Fox City

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Caccioppoli he linked to is 290G. The LP seersucker is 190 - There's really nothing else like it and the others were all between 260-300 or so.
My recall is that LP measure and quote their fabric weights differently to everyone else; it may not actually be 190g per running metre.

Featured Sponsor

What's the biggest deciding factor for you when making a clothing purchase?

• Style of an item

• Price of an item

• Material of an item

• Brand

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
everettlondon