• We would like to welcome Arterton as an official Affiliate Vendor. Arterton, based in the UK, specializes in fine accessories such as garment bags, umbrellas, and shoe care, as well as fine shoes and boots from Yearn Footwear Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So winter has hit hard where I am at. It's a bit too cold even for 18 oz. P&B Universal trousers. P&B has some 20oz. that I might have made up. I was also looking at some 18oz to 20oz fabrics in HFW Alsport and P&H Calvary Twills.

What does everyone like for cold weather trousers?
Merino wool long underwear + whatever trousers you like.
+1 on Bromely's comment. I used to live in Moscow, Russia and got through some pretty cold winters using baselayers.

My most basic baselayers are from Smartwool. They weigh about 250g/m and are very comfortable. I find they're good between temps 45 and 60. Below 45, I need something thicker and warmer, so I wear the heaviest baselayers offered at WoolX. Those are 400g/m. They're warmer, but they're also thicker and slightly itchier. You don't really notice 250g Smartwool baselayers, but you notice the 400g Woolx. If you find yourself in heated offices, they may also start to feel too warm, so it's a balancing act.

I wore those baselayers under normal wool trousers. Most of those trousers were your usual midweight 12oz to 14oz wool fabrics, often flannel.

The other thing to note is the fiber composition. Baselayers come in pure merino wool and merino-blends (often mixed with a synthetic such as polyester). From what I understand, the wool-polys are actually more durable, which is why they're favored by people who are wearing these for very active things such as hiking. But the pure wool ones don't hold odor as easily. Depending on your day, I find you can wear the pure merino ones a couple of times before needing to wash them.

Simon A

Reaction score
So winter has hit hard where I am at. It's a bit too cold even for 18 oz. P&B Universal trousers. P&B has some 20oz. that I might have made up. I was also looking at some 18oz to 20oz fabrics in HFW Alsport and P&H Calvary Twills.

Woolen-spun cloth is the go. 500 g woolen flannels are great. Also some Lovat cheviot tweeds in the 500-600 g range in windowpanes or herringbones (LL cheviots or Kirkton). Match with some wooly over-the-calf socks and you're in business.

Marshak

Reaction score

Heavy flannel! Cavalry twill has no warmness despite high weight.

Featured Sponsor

Pocket square on a coat: yes or no?

• Yes

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • No

Votes: 27 69.2%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 4 10.3%