• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

ZRH1

Reaction score
Dugdale has a few beautiful woolen cord offerings in their new “Invincible” Collection. I have two pair of trousers and they are fantastic.
I see they are not yet released, I understand you also had Fearnaught before being public, am I wrong?

EDIT: thanks to all who commented on the navy linen options, much appreciated.

JHWilliams

Reaction score
I see they are not yet released, I understand you also had Fearnaught before being public, am I wrong?

Yes. It has not been officially released, but the cloth is available. You will not be disappointed.
I wish they offered the woolen wide wales!

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ZRH1

Adding to the choir, I would not go for the lighter navies, go for the darker inky navies with no purple or red.

I had a safari jacket made in a similiar brighter navy. Out came this disaster. There's the issue of safari jackets working poorly as a stand in for tailoring, but I ended up disliking the colour and found it very hard to pair.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Be aware of the sheen on dark linen. Most times we make dark linen on the other side, not the face side, because it has a matte look and less sheen. Dark linen colors will shine from wear over time.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Caccioppoli has some single width Irish linen in RAF blue. It’s not bright but not standard navy either. A lovely colour IMHO.

wafflingwaffles

Reaction score
Anyone ever have something made up of a large percentage of silk?

I'm looking at a 300g jacketing 60% linen 40% silk. Not sure how it'll wear.

Wren

Reaction score
@ZRH1

Adding to the choir, I would not go for the lighter navies, go for the darker inky navies with no purple or red.

I had a safari jacket made in a similiar brighter navy. Out came this disaster. There's the issue of safari jackets working poorly as a stand in for tailoring, but I ended up disliking the colour and found it very hard to pair.

It looks pretty nice, at least to me. The blue is kind of similar to that of a french chore coat.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think that was roughly the make up of @dieworkwear’s summer tweed. I am having a suit made up of my length by I Sarti Italiani, so I can’t quite report back on how it wears yet. But it did have a nice hand and an interesting slubby texture.

Last edited:

Markus W

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Ignore the bad fit (it's old RTW) but this is 100% (!) Silk. It's fantastic. I don't know the producer or weight of the fabric. It's definitely heavier then your lightweight silk usually used for a pocket square. It's silky smooth and a bit rough at the same time but still kind of sturdy. Feels super comfortable but still not so delicate that you fear that it will tear apart.

Does anyone has a source for those type of silk fabrics? I would order a jacket immediately.

DSC_5579.jpg

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks pretty nice, at least to me. The blue is kind of similar to that of a french chore coat.
I can see the appeal, but the colour just didn't work well in my wardrobe.

I've gotten more wear out of my safari jackets that are more rugged looking and in earthy colours.

wafflingwaffles

Reaction score
Ignore the bad fit (it's old RTW) but this is 100% (!) Silk. It's fantastic. I don't know the producer or weight of the fabric. It's definitely heavier then your lightweight silk usually used for a pocket square. It's silky smooth and a bit rough at the same time but still kind of sturdy. Feels super comfortable but still not so delicate that you fear that it will tear apart.

Does anyone has a source for those type of silk fabrics? I would order a jacket immediately.

Thanks, classicalthunde and Markus.

Markus, do you find that the high amount of silk renders your jacket not as breathable? Breathability is a big concern for me. Thanks.

corpseposeur

Reaction score
So winter has hit hard where I am at. It's a bit too cold even for 18 oz. P&B Universal trousers. P&B has some 20oz. that I might have made up. I was also looking at some 18oz to 20oz fabrics in HFW Alsport and P&H Calvary Twills.

What does everyone like for cold weather trousers?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So winter has hit hard where I am at. It's a bit too cold even for 18 oz. P&B Universal trousers. P&B has some 20oz. that I might have made up. I was also looking at some 18oz to 20oz fabrics in HFW Alsport and P&H Calvary Twills.

What does everyone like for cold weather trousers?
If too cold for worsted suiting, try flannel. Also, some cavalry twills can be surprisingly effective. Cooler finish but less porous. And some, like the LL QUCT, are a bit wooly in the bargain.

Featured Sponsor

What do you spend most of your clothing budget on?

• Outerwear

• Tailoring

• Sportswear

• Footwear

• Accessories

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jpiap