• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try to find 1000 gm cashmere made in the UK (for less) If you can, I’ll eat my hat.

Don't quote me but I think the original LL run of this cashmere beast was half the current price. In any case, Michael is certainly charging as much as the market can bear these days. Cloth club it ain't no more.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not cheap. At all.

The thing, though, is that I currently own 0 bespoke overcoats (my only dress coat is a dark charcoal herringbone Davide Cenci Ulster-style coat that I bought in the bowels of the recession in December 2008, which has served me surprisingly well).

And my hope is to get up to a grand total of 2: the Liverano and a Balmacaan from Caid (both through The Armoury).

So the wears-to-money ratio will be *high*.

Now, do I need to layer another $4,000 on top of that just for the cloth? Probably not.
In fairness, if you’re shelling out for a Liverano Ulster, might as well go balls out on the cloth.

bjhofkin

Reaction score
Just now got admitted to the LL forum, so two questions for the assembled throng related to the new Everest run:

- How long, generally speaking, do these cloths take to arrive? (I ask because I sort of have a window over the next ~6 months to get to New York for Liverano trunk shows – but beyond that it might be a little harder for a while.

- What's the minimum length I'd need for a full-length, DB overcoat? 4m, right? Just wanting to make sure before I maybe pull the trigger.

bjhofkin

Reaction score
In fairness, if you’re shelling out for a Liverano Ulster, might as well go balls out on the cloth.

For sure.

The color and weight are making me hesitate, though, as otherwise I'm not sure I'd choose navy or midnight, and lugging that much coat around when not wearing it could be a little nuts.

JHWilliams

Reaction score
It is a a bolt of pure luxury, certainly not necessity. There are many more cloth options for a beautiful bespoke overcoat. This cloth just happens to be the king of heavyweight cashmere.

speaking for myself, this will most likely be a once in a lifetime purchase that I plan to enjoy for many years to come.

when we add up all of the many bespoke mistakes we have made over the years (garments we never should have commissioned) I don’t think an additional $4000 premium is all that bad. You can’t go wrong with midnight blue Everest.

bjhofkin

Reaction score
It is a a bolt of pure luxury, certainly not necessity. There are many more cloth options for a beautiful bespoke overcoat. This cloth just happens to be the king of heavyweight cashmere.

speaking for myself, this will most likely be a once in a lifetime purchase that I plan to enjoy for many years to come.

when we add up all of the many bespoke mistakes we have made over the years (garments we never should have commissioned) I don’t think an additional $4000 premium is all that bad. You can’t go wrong with midnight blue Everest.

???

JHWilliams

Reaction score
As mentioned, we SFers are the oddest of oddballs. It's not to say it's an obscene upcharge relative to the market. It's simply an obscene amount for an utterly unnecessary frivolity. A sentiment compounded by the struggles normal society is facing nowadays.
Which, of course, ZERO judgement. But not an overstatement in saying we're a silly bunch, in my estimation.

Note: this from someone who's debating buying a 25oz camel hair overcoat...living in Los Angeles. Again, revel in the absurdity of the forum I say.

An obscene amount as compared to what?

there is nothing else available or comparable on the market.

I am not one to spend money frivolously.
I see value in the luxury of this garment.

perhaps a $30,000 vicuña overcoat might be a bit of a stretch.

JHWilliams

Reaction score
Don't quote me but I think the original LL run of this cashmere beast was half the current price. In any case, Michael is certainly charging as much as the market can bear these days. Cloth club it ain't no more.
London Lounge prices aren’t cheap, by any means. I find them to be fair and on par with most merchants for the quality that is offered.
Michael puts in a ton of time, effort, and energy for LL. Time is money and deserving of profit.

Franco Ocarez

Reaction score

You have such convincing power that I considered for a moment buying the cloth.

JHWilliams

Reaction score
You have such convincing power that I considered for a moment buying the cloth.
It’s not for everyone. It is purely a luxury item. Due to the high cost (and rising) I highly doubt we will see a subscription for this offered again for a very very long time.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Don't think that's true. I considered subscribing to the original Everest run and also vaguely remember it was about $1,000 per meter. I think I paid about $400 per meter for the jacketing version.

I believe Vox told me that he paid about $1,000 per meter for Harrisons camelhair overcoating. I bought the same fabric from my tailor but don't remember what I paid.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't think that's true. I considered subscribing to the original Everest run and also vaguely remember it was about $1,000 per meter. I think I paid about $400 per meter for the jacketing version.

I believe Vox told me that he paid about $1,000 per meter for Harrisons camelhair overcoating. I bought the same fabric from my tailor but don't remember what I paid.

What cloth was this? I dont see anything in the Harrison's line that lines up with that, but perhaps its been discontinued.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What cloth was this? I dont see anything in the Harrison's line that lines up with that, but perhaps its been discontinued.

No idea. You can message Vox to ask. I told my tailor to just buy the cloth used for his coat. I don't remember the price. I was surprised to hear from Vox later that the cloth was very expensive. I vaguely remember him telling me $1k/ meter, but I may be mistaken. You can find him these days on Twitter.

Last edited:

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No idea. You can message Vox to ask. I told my tailor to just buy the cloth used for his coat. I don't remember the price, just paid the bill. I was surprised to hear from Vox later that the cloth was very expensive. I vaguely remember him telling me $1k/ meter, but I may be mistaken. You can find him these days on Twitter.

It was camelhair? How long ago did you have it made?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics