• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Marshak

Reaction score
Can I get recommendations for a black/white or grey herringbone tweed jacketing? I am looking something quite spongy, medium weight and with quite a wide and clear herringbone so that it doesn’t resolve too immediately to mid-grey.

Something like this:

View attachment 1711726

And not like this:
View attachment 1711727

Have seen Sherry Tweed 8818029 mentioned but it looks a bit too ‘mid-grey’:

View attachment 1711732
The Sherry Tweed has a larger scale and is softer than an Harris Tweed (and lighter). On the heavy side, Fox has a the same large herringbone pattern in black and white (a bit darker than the H&S) in its Tweed collection (500 gr).

The first pic is from WWChan isn't it?

Aloysius16

Reaction score
The Sherry Tweed has a larger scale and is softer than an Harris Tweed (and lighter). On the heavy side, Fox has a the same large herringbone pattern in black and white in its Tweed collection (500 gr).

yes, from Chan

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
The Sherry Tweed has a larger scale and is softer than an Harris Tweed (and lighter). On the heavy side, Fox has a the same large herringbone pattern in black and white (a bit darker than the H&S) in its Tweed collection (500 gr).

I do not have the said H&S swatch, I merely quoted what they used to write in their own site; I just re-checked and they still do, and it is not wide at 5/8 inch (1.6cm) unless our definition of width is different!

Best,

Dimitris

Marshak

Reaction score
I do not have the said H&S swatch, I merely quoted what they used to write in their own site; I just re-checked and they still do, and it is not wide at 5/8 inch (1.6cm) unless our definition of width is different!

Best,

Dimitris
Dimitri,

As you can see on the WWChan jacket the scale is wider than a herringbone pattern used for suits and visually well balanced. Indeed all depends on what you understand by width. The next step would be an overcoat scale which, I think, would be off for a sport jacket.

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
Dimitri,

As you can see on the WWChan jacket the scale is wider than a herringbone pattern used for suits and visually well balanced. Indeed all depends on what you understand by width. The next step would be an overcoat scale which, I think, would be off for a sport jacket.

Well, I do not want to de-rail the Thread, if our fellow @Aloysius16 is fond of the aesthetic of a final garment as the WWChan one (which is quite nice BTW), who am I to claim the opposite? This would be the obvious direction for him!

Just to remind you that during previous years there was a discussion in this very Thread about the "proper" herringbone width for a Sport Coat, which by definition it should be, and actually is always wider than the ones for suiting purposes. This does not mean, however, that this proposition (5/8 inch / 1.6cm) is a wide one!

Before going to overcoating fabrics' herringbone scale - that I personally neither select nor suggest for an SC - I believe that it would be far more becoming if the jacketing-scale herringbone could be approx. 2.5cm; in a wide neapolitan-style lapel (circa 10cm), one could observe 4 full herringbones instead of 6 in the WWChan SC, which BTW does have a slimmer lapel than that.

Best,

Dimitris

Last edited:

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know if the source of the image is WW Chan Shanghai or HK? If Shanghai, I can pop in and ask the manager.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thinking about getting a brown suit and I'm between the two Standeven fabrics below. Wondering if I can get some feedback: do you prefer the darker brown with subtle mottling or the lighter brown with more mottling?

View attachment 1711555 View attachment 1711556

The lighter brown as a suit

I've never much liked 'brown' suits. The lighter one is a khaki derivative, and more flexible as a result.

undertheskin

Reaction score
It would be really useful if we knew the actual width of the lapel; I have the impression, however, that this is an overcoating fabric, which makes it a no-go for me if this is a SC (the image is cropped so we cannot tell).

Cheers,

Dimitris
should be from fox tweed bunch/500g.
my post was solely about the width.

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking about getting a brown suit and I'm between the two Standeven fabrics below. Wondering if I can get some feedback: do you prefer the darker brown with subtle mottling or the lighter brown with more mottling?

View attachment 1711555 View attachment 1711556

The lighter brown as a suit

I am leaning towards the darker brown one. It would be easier to wear to dinners/at night, and if you went with patch pockets, you could break it up and wear with light gray or mid gray trousers as a jacket. I think it would be pretty great with a black turtleneck and black tassels too.

-DL

Marshak

Reaction score
Well, I do not want to de-rail the Thread, if our fellow @Aloysius16 is fond of the aesthetic of a final garment as the WWChan one (which is quite nice BTW), who am I to claim the opposite? This would be the obvious direction for him!

Just to remind you that during previous years there was a discussion in this very Thread about the "proper" herringbone width for a Sport Coat, which by definition it should be, and actually is always wider than the ones for suiting purposes. This does not mean, however, that this proposition (5/8 inch / 1.6cm) is a wide one!

Before going to overcoating fabrics' herringbone scale - that I personally neither select nor suggest for an SC - I believe that it would be far more becoming if the jacketing-scale herringbone could be approx. 2.5cm; in a wide neapolitan-style lapel (circa 10cm), one could observe 4 full herringbones instead of 6 in the WWChan SC, which BTW does have a slimmer lapel than that.

Best,

Dimitris
Interesting discussion. Do you have an example of a pattern with a 2.5 cm width?

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like both the dark and medium browns, so it really hinges on when you think you'd wear it.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Butchy and David make good points about the brown suit fabrics. I had been thinking overall use, but the dark brown would be better for an evening out suit.

Featured Sponsor

What's Your Favorite Summer Shoe?

• Loafers

• Boat shoes

• Espadrilles

• Sneakers

• Desert Boots

• Sandals

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members