• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just got these too! I'm making a jacket from WB12403, trousers from WB16216, and a field jacket from WB16225. I'll report back when I have them in hand.
@bdavro23
Describe a field jacket? not sure I know what it looks like

Nico

Reaction score
What cotton weight Brisbane Moss fabrics would you recommend for some summer trousers?

What are the pros and cons related to cotton cloths weight (e.g. heavier means more drape and easier to work with for my tailor / more margin in terms of fit)? Are they the same as the pros and cons for worsted wool?

winghus

Reaction score
@bdavro23
Describe a field jacket? not sure I know what it looks like

otterhound

Reaction score
Can anyone ID the suit fabric? Is it a birdseye?

birdseye.jpg

mactire

Reaction score
South

South East Asia and Canada actually. Both work for me

If you're in Toronto I'd check out https://www.sultansfinefabrics.com/, there's also the remnants of a garment district in Montréal as well.

For shirting fabrics if you're based in SE Asia you're far more likely to have a decent selection of cloths given the concentration of the rag trade in that part of the world. Linen/cotton mixes are on the books of most Italian shirting weavers but hard to get at retail.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're in Toronto I'd check out https://www.sultansfinefabrics.com/, there's also the remnants of a garment district in Montréal as well.

For shirting fabrics if you're based in SE Asia you're far more likely to have a decent selection of cloths given the concentration of the rag trade in that part of the world. Linen/cotton mixes are on the books of most Italian shirting weavers but hard to get at retail.

Careful with Sultans, I had a pretty questionable experience there.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi Forum Members,

I’ve recently seen some some cotton-linen shirting fabrics from Cacciopoli,that i really like.

Does anyone know where i can purchase shirting fabrics directly that have a blend of 50% cotton-50% linen or alternatively 70% cotton-30% linen? Or even chambray fabrics?

I went on the acorn site but those colors did not appeal to me.
Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated

Have you asked your tailor? Cotton-linen blends are pretty common. I imagine it will be easier to choose from your tailor's books.

paborden

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a navy tweed sport coat made up and, while my normal choice would probably be Harris Tweed, I'm hesitant with how beefy it might look for lack of a better word. I don't need a mini pea coat.

Any thoughts on the following?

1633436442227.png

1633436518787.png

Franco Ocarez

Reaction score
I want to buy 2,5 metres of alpaca from the book Arequipa Blue by Piacenza1733. Has anyone tried alpaca in hopsack?

TheAnthology has made some blazers with it.

Simon A

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a navy tweed sport coat made up and, while my normal choice would probably be Harris Tweed, I'm hesitant with how beefy it might look for lack of a better word. I don't need a mini pea coat.

Featherweight Harris Tweed tends to bag at the elbows and not hold its shape very well. Sometimes you'll get lucky but it often is disappointing. I'm happy enough with my heavyweight Harris Tweed garments though.

Dugdale's CalDonAire book has some lightweight navy tweeds that might be worth a look, likewise the Hardys Worsted Alsport book and the Lovat Mill Teviot book

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1680293

View attachment 1680294

The W. Bill swatch is from the Shetland Tweed book, not Harris, and is relatively lightweight (as tweeds go) at 12/13 oz. Also, the website hasnt been updated with the new book information yet, so the swatch number is wrong. See the pictures below:

1633444246226.png

1633444278881.png

paborden

Reaction score
The WBill sure does look nice. I am wondering about longevity though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads