• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ thanks. I remember your coat and like it.

I find the pattern of the M&E „fuzzier,“ if that makes any sense. The Fox one seems to have a bit crisper pattern, as if it were a higher resolution. I remember seeing a length of H&S in some shop in Naples a while back with a similar pattern to the Fox.
Yeah that makes perfect sense. The M&E is a lot more "tweedy" and relatively more rough, especially up close. It can be seen well in the houndstooth portion of the checks.

The Fox cloth looks much more refined.
You are both gentlemen, @FlyingHorker and @dan'l correct and very informative.

In my eyes the main difference is - as Dan pointed - that the Fox overcoating fabric has a very generous P-o-W check rendering the following effect: at any given overcoat length, due to the size of the check, the number of rows / checks will be less than, say, the ones of the excellent M&E, or other "normal"-sized overcoating P-o-W checks.

This is not something to be taken lightly; if a gentleman is not very tall, the less check rows will cause a negative visual effect and instead of elongating his figure, I am afraid that exactly the opposite will occur!

A tailor (SF members are rightfully excluded!) may not even bother to raise this issue, but innumerable examples that can be found online from images in Pitti, etc, cannot hide the truth.

Best,

Dimitris
Thanks Dimitris, always appreciate your input as well.

Definitely did not think about the widening effect of the Fox, if I understood correctly. I really dislike traditional windowpanes in sportscoats for that very reason.

I admit I'd probably still use that Fox cloth if I had it available, even with the negative visual effect. I'm a sucker for PoW in all scales. They're traditional, but also feel really fun.

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
Thanks Dimitris, always appreciate your input as well.

Definitely did not think about the widening effect of the Fox, if I understood correctly.

You are very welcome!

Well, not actually "widening" but "shortening" (the silhouette) visual effect.

Best,

Dimitris

PS
This Fox cloth is a quite handsome fabric!

CasuallyWorked

Reaction score
Does anybody know if this Marling and Evans fabric is code S1635/15892/E5
rj_me_glen_1_1800x1800 (1).jpg

dan'l

Reaction score
You are both gentlemen, @FlyingHorker and @dan'l correct and very informative.

In my eyes the main difference is - as Dan pointed - that the Fox overcoating fabric has a very generous P-o-W check rendering the following effect: at any given overcoat length, due to the size of the check, the number of rows / checks will be less than, say, the ones of the excellent M&E, or other "normal"-sized overcoating P-o-W checks.

This is not something to be taken lightly; if a gentleman is not very tall, the less check rows will cause a negative visual effect and instead of elongating his figure, I am afraid that exactly the opposite will occur!

A tailor (SF members are rightfully excluded!) may not even bother to raise this issue, but innumerable examples that can be found online from images in Pitti, etc, cannot hide the truth.

Best,

Dimitris
This is an excellent observation; thanks for that. I am also „vertically challenged“ and your post saved me £700!

Actually, I‘ve been looking for something like this for a few years now. No success so far.

2B789363-2DF3-4C76-B856-E8B13C6627F8.jpeg

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
This is an excellent observation; thanks for that. I am also „vertically challenged“ and your post saved me £700!

Actually, I‘ve been looking for something like this for a few years now. No success so far.

View attachment 1667898

Indeed; we are on the same boat as far as this overcoating fabric is concerned.

This is exactly the same as the Andreas Weinas' one here below, and IMO it is the quintessential grey P-o-W balmacaan!

1631523832920.png

Best,

Dimitris

jessnie1987

Reaction score
Hi folks - been contemplating having a pair of gabardine pants made for upcoming fall to be worn with sport coats. Used to own a pair that drapes and flows beautifully, but cannot locate the bunch. Any recommendation as which mill/book I should be looking at? Much appreciated.

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi folks - been contemplating having a pair of gabardine pants made for upcoming fall to be worn with sport coats. Used to own a pair that drapes and flows beautifully, but cannot locate the bunch. Any recommendation as which mill/book I should be looking at? Much appreciated.

Dugdale has a really nice gabardine bunch with a ton of colors in a decent weight if I recall. I haven't had it made up personally though.

JHWilliams

Reaction score
Dugdale has a really nice gabardine bunch with a ton of colors in a decent weight if I recall. I haven't had it made up personally though.
I just commissioned two pair of trousers made up from Dugdale’s royal pageant gab. I’m eagerly awaiting them. More of a summer, weight, though. HFW has a great gabardine bunch in s heavier weight.

JHWilliams

Reaction score

Huddersfield Fine Worsteds Super Gabardine bunch is 11/12 ounces. More of a year round weight. Dugdale’s Royal Pageant Gab bunch is beautiful but more of a summer weight

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads