• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

JHWilliams

Reaction score
I meant cool in the Miles Davis stylistic sense of the word. However If I were a funeral director, I would absolutely have some black linen and fresco suits for summer even if they wouldn't necessarily be "cool" in the context I was referring to. If you must wear black, might as well be the most breathable material you can find.
Fresco is a faithful friend this time of year !!!

mactire

Reaction score
as a funeral director, I am forced to wear black almost year round. There is nothing cool about it. The sun absolutely bakes you. I should think linen may be a bit cooler, but not by a long shot.
That's funny, although where I'm from although you'd expect the funeral director to be sober, to wear black to a funeral could be seen as upstaging the mourners.

Funcheese

Reaction score
Has anyone here been to Tip Top Fabrics in Brooklyn (Greenpoint, Brooklyn to be exact)? I live a short walk from Tip Top and have stopped in a number of times over the past year.
Now, I've only been in a few fabric stores prior to this and none devoted solely to apparel fabric; is it me or is this place a fabric Mecca? So. Much. Amazing. Fabric.
The owner is a also great resource for custom tailors in the area.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you look back 10 years, there are many tales of NYC members making the pilgrimage to Tip Top. Some adored it, some were cautiously optimistic about finding needles in haystacks, and still others who hated the aforementioned members loved to insist that it was all dreck.

Of course, post-pandemic, who knows how much inventory and strategy have changed?

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been interested lately in a camel polo coat again.

Anyone have a good value oriented cloth source for the quintessential "camel polo coat"?

I don't care for real camel hair or 100% cashmere, they're both too expensive for me. I've been spoiled by Marling & Evans' who don't charge much for the beautiful cloth you get. I paid around $75-100USD per metre when buying from them.

As long as the material has some durability and warmth and is the right colour.

My tailor doesn't carry many books, but he is open to taking outside cloth sources.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you look back 10 years, there are many tales of NYC members making the pilgrimage to Tip Top. Some adored it, some were cautiously optimistic about finding needles in haystacks, and still others who hated the aforementioned members loved to insist that it was all dreck.

Of course, post-pandemic, who knows how much inventory and strategy have changed?
All of the above is the correct answer

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here been to Tip Top Fabrics in Brooklyn (Greenpoint, Brooklyn to be exact)? I live a short walk from Tip Top and have stopped in a number of times over the past year.
Now, I've only been in a few fabric stores prior to this and none devoted solely to apparel fabric; is it me or is this place a fabric Mecca? So. Much. Amazing. Fabric.
The owner is a also great resource for custom tailors in the area.
I've not been since I moved out of Greenpoint a few years ago. To me, it's similar to a discount store in that there is a lot of meh and some truly exceptional needle in haystacks if you can find them. The best things there are the end of bolt deals, which can be terrific.

Perhaps another trip is in the cards. I do miss going to Lobster Joint...

Funcheese

Reaction score
I've not been since I moved out of Greenpoint a few years ago. To me, it's similar to a discount store in that there is a lot of meh and some truly exceptional needle in haystacks if you can find them. The best things there are the end of bolt deals, which can be terrific.

Perhaps another trip is in the cards. I do miss going to Lobster Joint...
Wow, we must have differing taste/knowledge because I witnessed floor to ceiling gorgeous fabrics by the all the fabric houses that are mentioned with reverence on this thread. Check your cards to see what they reveal and get back to me. If you prove they're meh the lobster rolls are on me.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Does anyone have a suggestion for a jacketing like this? This specific cloth is vintage, so I'm curious if there are modern alternatives.

Also, does anyone have suggestions for a classic but slightly 70s styled jacketing? Ideally a tweed? I've combed through Lafayette Saltiel Drapiers' recent posts and didn't see anything I really wanted. Don't want the worst of couch-covering-styled 70s, but something with a hint of that era.

173417827_207615417830586_8581222072157997953_n.jpg

FlowableFill

Reaction score
Screenshot_20210725-141925_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210725-141931_Chrome.jpg

Something like this maybe? It's from the loro piana sopra visso book. There are a few more houndstooth fabrics in the book.

If you don't know, hall madden has a bunch of books from some major fabric producers on their website.

Bromley

Reaction score
A few of these struck me as '70s when I saw them.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a suggestion for a jacketing like this? This specific cloth is vintage, so I'm curious if there are modern alternatives.

Also, does anyone have suggestions for a classic but slightly 70s styled jacketing? Ideally a tweed? I've combed through Lafayette Saltiel Drapiers' recent posts and didn't see anything I really wanted. Don't want the worst of couch-covering-styled 70s, but something with a hint of that era.

View attachment 1644144

Something a little different, but I thought of this swatch when I saw your post.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Sneakers with tailoring: yes, no, maybe?

• No, never.

• Yes, it can be done tastefully.

• Not sure.

Results are only viewable after voting.