• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually would like to lean from your Icarus experience. I digitally looked at the bunch and some of them looks good and I assume should be good for hot / humid weather, right ? is that a jacket only or suiting ?
It's a lightweight fabric that feels even lighter (probably the silk content). It breathes well and wrinkles fall out over night. The latter was a concern when I ordered it, but it's turned out great. It has some texture, but not as much as the swatches in the Indigo book from what I've seen.

I would only use it for a jacket. Or I'd get two pairs of trousers, because I don't think they would hold up with regular wear.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would appreciate it.
660755 is the standard navy, and 660756 is the dark navy. My blazer on the right in this post is a 660756

Overall, I like the fabric although per the conversation following the post I would have made a few stylistic differences in my blazer (but live and learn!). I feel light it is certainly softer than my Drapers suit on the left

rjkabk

Reaction score
660755 is the standard navy, and 660756 is the dark navy. My blazer on the right in this post is a 660756

Overall, I like the fabric although per the conversation following the post I would have made a few stylistic differences in my blazer (but live and learn!). I feel light it is certainly softer than my Drapers suit on the left
Thank you. With the slight bit of cashmere in the Cape Horn does that give a little bit of nap or texture? Do you think it would work equally well for a suit or do you think it works better for a blazer?

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you like the fabric?
I love the way the suit turned out. Its a heavier flannel (I don't remember the exact weight) than other suits I have, no issues with trouser bagging, creases stay put. The colors (chestnut and chocolate) are very rich and deep, Douglas's pics on IG caught my eye. I am sure there are similar choc brown plaid flannels, but this one is very nice. Although Fox said it was a limited edition (not sur how limited), so, not sure how much is available.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you. With the slight bit of cashmere in the Cape Horn does that give a little bit of nap or texture? Do you think it would work equally well for a suit or do you think it works better for a blazer?
Its a suiting book primarily, I think @Despos recommended it as a possible formal blazer fabric so I went with it.

It has a standard twill texture, but no noticeable nap...if i recall correctly its only 1% cashmere, probably more so for a softer hand and/or wrinkle resistance than anything else, but that's just a non-expert guess.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The London Lounge used to have a book with Fox. I was going to use one of their brown glen plaids for a double-breasted suit about eight or nine years ago. It's a walnut color with a faint chestnut-colored overcheck. I don't know if they still have that book -- it's not online -- but might be worth checking out.
That book is finished, but Fox’s Heritage Flannels get close, albeit without the complex color ways.

Reaction score
@dieworkwear I am thinking of commissioning a suit from a Japanese tailor, but I'm still debating between Ciccio (Noriyuki Ueki) and Anglofilo (Yusuche Ono). Any input on these two or any other tailor you might recommend?

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone have an idea what VBC book this Model 3 jacket cloth might be out of, or possibly even a reference number? It says 250g and 100% wool, but I don't see it in any of the standard books online (revenge, perennial, etc.)

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@dieworkwear I am thinking of commissioning a suit from a Japanese tailor, but I'm still debating between Ciccio (Noriyuki Ueki) and Anglofilo (Yusuche Ono). Any input on these two or any other tailor you might recommend?
Unfortunately don't have any experience with any of the Japanese tailors, so I can't really comment in a meaningful way. I like what I've seen online from Ciccio, however. If I was getting a business suit, I think I would opt for something slightly more conservative than what Ueki himself wears. But he seems skilled at what he does.

I've also heard good things about Sartoria Domenica from friends, but again, have no direct experience.

samtalkstyle

Reaction score
anyone have an idea what VBC book this Model 3 jacket cloth might be out of, or possibly even a reference number? It says 250g and 100% wool, but I don't see it in any of the standard books online (revenge, perennial, etc.)

If it's a summer weight/weave, perhaps Sunny Season?

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it's a summer weight/weave, perhaps Sunny Season?
I checked through that book on one of the websites where its posted online and did not see it there...does VBC do seasonal bunches? I couldnt find much more info on the VBC site directly...

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking about pulling a trigger on this cloth. It is a vintage Holland & Sherry circa 1980s. 60% Summer Kid Mohair and 40%Worsted Cashmere & Vicuna which costs around $700 for 3 meters. I'm thinking double breasted suit should do the trick with this. What's your opinion?

View attachment 1628806
View attachment 1628807
I dont know how big you are, but its unlikely that 3 meters, especially in a plaid, would be enough cloth for a double breasted suit. Make sure you check with your tailor before pulling the trigger.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Has anyone ordered off the Drapers website before? I get a "30% off coupon" in my checkout cart (weird and I don't know why). But when applied, it changes to -30€ rather than 30%.

I thought maybe the 30% off coupon was for VAT, but VAT is usually less. I also haven't been able to get a reply from Drapers on how to use their website.

Weirdly, checking out with one fabric gives me a -30€ discount. Checking out with two fabrics also still only gives me a -30€ discount. If I'm buying multiple lengths, this seems to incentivize only checking out with one length per order.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Sneakers with tailoring: yes, no, maybe?

• No, never.

• Yes, it can be done tastefully.

• Not sure.

Results are only viewable after voting.