• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo, a sustainable leather goods company based out of Vancouver, BC, Canada, making premium, made-to-order, water-repellent leather jackets and gloves. .Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's linen:

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's linen:

Thank you!!

It appears very light/thin. Any idea of its weight or source?

-

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
Hi
I would appreciate your advise and thoughts on trousers cloth type and color to match with this Jacket cloth.
Thanks!

View attachment 1596578
Try to find a color close to the overcheck's; everything else holds true (oatmeal, light beige, sand), although they would be unsurprisingly boring.

As far as the cloth type is concerned, didn't you have to share a bit of info on the SC's cloth (composition, weight)?

Best,

Dimitris

artyom.le.gall

Reaction score
Try to find a color close to the overcheck's; everything else holds true (oatmeal, light beige, sand), although they would be unsurprisingly boring.

As far as the cloth type is concerned, didn't you have to share a bit of info on the SC's cloth (composition, weight)?

Best,

Dimitris
Many Thanks Dimitris!
That's a Fox Drop Shetland Tweed. To my best recall it was ~400...Fox removed the link :-(. I indeed started by trying to match the overcheck. The blue looks kind of RAF or maybe Royal so I am playing with Flannel (would worsted work better?) Calvary Twill or Corduroi along these lines. Dark blue actually works well while indeed the bright ones seems bit.well.. dull. That said, finding the right blue is a challenge... and in particular online. I also tried to match match the Rust decor, but its feels way too dandy for me..
I would appreciate your further advise..!

-ALG

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
Many Thanks Dimitris!
That's a Fox Drop Shetland Tweed. To my best recall it was ~400...Fox removed the link :-(. I indeed started by trying to match the overcheck. The blue looks kind of RAF or maybe Royal so I am playing with Flannel (would worsted work better?) Calvary Twill or Corduroi along these lines. Dark blue actually works well while indeed the bright ones seems bit.well.. dull. That said, finding the right blue is a challenge... and in particular online. I also tried to match match the Rust decor, but its feels way too dandy for me..
I would appreciate your further advise..!

-ALG

You are welcome!

Well, I am sure that you are aware that your SC's color combination, although powerful, is quite challenging. IMO, this is mainly attributed to the dominance of the blue which in my screen has a warm tone, closer to the turquoise, and not a cold one, close to a royal blue; certainly IRL, the color may be actually different!

That said, I would strongly urge you, not only to avoid selecting any blue fabric on-line, but more to that, even in-person you have to have your SC with you to check the combination very, very thoroughly! If I were you, I would only go into the dark navy territory, paying attention in the warmth/coldness of the two blue tones: the SC's glen check and the trousers' fabric, which have to be in harmony. Blue with blue is an advanced exercise, and alas, we have seen so many poor combinations of this sort even in this forum.

Fabric-wise, I believe that you are on the right path, so flannel, corduroy, cavalry twill it is.

Finally, since as you just wrote above that the overcheck is rust, as another trousers' option I would try to find either a heavy, winter cotton, with a nap, so moleskin, or corduroy which does have nap, is more interesting and offers the best winter iterations in this particular color palette; I've seen it IRL, if it's done carefully and properly, it produces a very nice, autumn-y aesthetic result!

Best,

Dimitris

artyom.le.gall

Reaction score
You are welcome!

Well, I am sure that you are aware that your SC's color combination, although powerful, is quite challenging. IMO, this is mainly attributed to the dominance of the blue which in my screen has a warm tone, closer to the turquoise, and not a cold one, close to a royal blue; certainly IRL, the color may be actually different!

That said, I would strongly urge you, not only to avoid selecting any blue fabric on-line, but more to that, even in-person you have to have your SC with you to check the combination very, very thoroughly! If I were you, I would only go into the dark navy territory, paying attention in the warmth/coldness of the two blue tones: the SC's glen check and the trousers' fabric, which have to be in harmony. Blue with blue is an advanced exercise, and alas, we have seen so many poor combinations of this sort even in this forum.

Fabric-wise, I believe that you are on the right path, so flannel, corduroy, cavalry twill it is.

Finally, since as you just wrote above that the overcheck is rust, as another trousers' option I would try to find either a heavy, winter cotton, with a nap, so moleskin, or corduroy which does have nap, is more interesting and offers the best winter iterations in this particular color palette; I've seen it IRL, if it's done carefully and properly, it produces a very nice, autumn-y aesthetic result!

Best,

Dimitris
Superb! Many thanks for the detailed reply & guidance. I just found two images i downloaded at the time from Fox site. Zooming in there multiple threads from sky blue to to dark one. The rust overcheck is quite subtle.. almost orange. I’m checking Brisbane Moss, Zegna & other corduroys for possible warm yet subtle match but maybe. The background is more brownish grey so the overall effect is confusingly warm which make it so challenging .. 🙈. Matching the cloth in real life would be best so I’m looking for the right bunches to pick from... This cloth combination was so distinct I was tempted..hope I’ll manage to get it right. And again your good taste, experience and good guidance is truly welcome and required :)
1619175439514.png
1619175464970.png

zr3rs

Reaction score
Superb! Many thanks for the detailed reply & guidance. I just found two images i downloaded at the time from Fox site. Zooming in there multiple threads from sky blue to to dark one. The rust overcheck is quite subtle.. almost orange. I’m checking Brisbane Moss, Zegna & other corduroys for possible warm yet subtle match but maybe. The background is more brownish grey so the overall effect is confusingly warm which make it so challenging .. 🙈. Matching the cloth in real life would be best so I’m looking for the right bunches to pick from.
You could also ask Fox for suitable colours from their new khaki bunch or their flannels. They are very helpful.

artyom.le.gall

Reaction score
View attachment 1598387
or
You are welcome!

Best,

Dimitris
Adventuring with Dimitris rusty trousers challange, the results are quite unique..but isn't it somehow too eccentric ? 😬 What do you think ? if you like one or alternatively dislike the whole direction please say! :)

1619250937137.png

1619250982503.png

1619251615119.jpeg

1619250954373.png
1619251572539.jpeg

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Styleforum x S.E.H Kelly Balmacaan: Choose the Fabric

• standard 5 — light and dark brown

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • standard 7 — dark brown and charcoal

Votes: 17 13.7%