• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Encathol Epistemia

Reaction score
Ground refers to the base color of the cloth.
A blue cloth with a white window pane pattern would be referred to as “a blue ground with white decoration”
If you were joking, then I misunderstood

No, thank you. I was unfamiliar with the term.

I was joking about dropping the suit, actually I was lying, I never dropped it, although I did get some rather stubborn stains on it after dinner at a steakhouse.

ruvort

Reaction score
I just found this on a sealed bag, was ordered by a forum member but never paid.

The very famous Agnelli fabric from Carlo Barbera and other cool one. For sale, 50 euros meter, retail maybe 3 or 4 times more. full cut are 4 meters each.

View attachment 1511335
I'd be interested in more info on these first two fabrics that you mentioned. If you would, please send me a PM.

Thank you.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’d be curious to hear people’s thoughts on SmithBotany hopsack for a suit?

I’ve often heard that hopsack is jacketing rather than suiting, but I recently watched the MoMA video on Anderson and Sheppard, and the sales associate at the beginning of the film clearly confirms that the suit is a hopsack from the Botany book.
Nobody wants to rehash the Vox v. FNB debate concerning which professions may wear hopsack suits? It was a SF classic.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nobody wants to rehash the Vox v. FNB debate concerning which professions may wear hopsack suits? It was a SF classic.

I was aware of the references, but always thought it was in reference to the BlazerSuit™ convo...didn't realize there was a separate thread on the implications of hopsack suiting

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally I find the hopsack to be the best material if you are going for the minimalist black knit tie and white/light blue OCBD shirt...very sanitation worker indeed

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And now for something completely different, I am moving to a new house in a little over a month and have decided to thin out many of my possessions (including some London Lounge lengths that I've had in storage). I have the following available:

Brown QUCT 3.0m (Quintessential Ultimate Calvary Twill; middle fabric)
45664984941_95d09f4a1f_b.jpg
LLTW08 Chevriot tweed herringbone violet windowpane 4m
24269119130_107769449d_z.jpg
PSJ2 (Perfect Spring Jacket) 2.5m (on left)
50305431606_d3009ecd51_c.jpg
Fumo di Londra Flannel 3.5m (very difficult to capture; solid dark (not charcoal) grey)
Ultimate navy blazer 2.5m
IMG_6034.jpg
LLTW14 Agnelli grey tweed 4m
14658214349_0bac676ff3_o.jpg
Thanks

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You have chosen well--- at least, on the buy side.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have chosen well--- at least, on the buy side.
Thanks. The Agnelli is one of my all-time favorites and I just had it made up again.
D9BAB363-A539-4874-A068-330874C3DFE3.jpeg CEA77B2B-2A19-45CD-9399-93CCB1EA70DC.jpeg
But do I really need three lengths of the fabric?
I‘ll likely regret letting the PSJ2 go but I just don’t wear tweed (or flannel) in warm weather.

sensuki

Reaction score
I am getting trousers made up in a Caccioppoli Covert Cloth 14oz, which I believe is the same quality as what you have there. I too ordered a Drapers sample and compared it to the Caccioppoli and it looked the same, but maybe a tiny difference in dye lot.

My fitting is on Dec 11th, I'll see if I can get a photo.

Here's a preview of my fitting, keen!

Nice troll from the maker regarding the cloth, lmao

1607427132938.png

emptym

Reaction score
probably fine but synthetic mixed cloth will eventually split and you’ll have a bunch of little rubber bands sticking out of your clothing at stress points. Will take a while but it happens.
It's a disaster to wash, even with a careful cold wash. The fabric shrinks appallingly. We do not have the same use of a everyday cotton pants as a wool suit pants. The Cacciopoli trousers have lost almost 20% of their mass after 5 washes... Because of the elastana. A pure cotton will shrink a lot less.
I don't think synthetics will necessarilly shrink or split. Elastane can definitely dry out, get hard and break, but I have workout clothes from the early 90's that are still in good shape. I don't think the elastane itself would shrink. Cotton other natural fibers shrink much more than artificial ones in general. So my guess for your (@Marshak's) fabric is that the cotton wears or washes away and the elastane pulls the cloth in, thus making it smaller. But I have cotton jeans with elastane that are maybe 7 yrs old, have been worn and washed a lot, but have suffered little to no shrinkage -- probably less than their all cotton counterparts.

mockingboy

Reaction score
Hey gang

trying to identify a similar fabric to brown/beige puppytooth or mini houndstooth in photo below. From Jean Manuel Moreaus instagram
A84BBC18-E3CF-469A-8D13-0EB0BFA580D2.jpeg
302F9A5F-1133-4962-AA84-638C86C3DB46.jpeg

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think synthetics will necessarilly shrink or split. Elastane can definitely dry out, get hard and break, but I have workout clothes from the early 90's that are still in good shape. I don't think the elastane itself would shrink. Cotton other natural fibers shrink much more than artificial ones in general. So my guess for your (@Marshak's) fabric is that the cotton wears or washes away and the elastane pulls the cloth in, thus making it smaller. But I have cotton jeans with elastane that are maybe 7 yrs old, have been worn and washed a lot, but have suffered little to no shrinkage -- probably less than their all cotton counterparts.

I don't mean that the cloth itself will necessarily split but rather that the individual filaments of the elastane will eventually begin to break over time in a way that cotton will not. Depending on how these synthetic filaments are spun into the completed yarn and later woven into the finished fabric has an effect on how the fabric ages. There are many ways of doing this so each fabric will be different. The larger point is that in any fabric that is composed of both natural and synthetic fibers, the two components will react to wear and laundering differently.

Cotton fibers absorb moisture and when they dry, some fibers break and fall out. This is why cotton shrinks after it is washed. Synthetic fibers will also break over time with wear but they generally look less nice as a result (think pilling). Cotton can age very beautifully and elastane much less so.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads