• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't agree, the shade of green definitely matters for attracting attention. It can range from subtle to bold.
It's not about it being visually subtle, it's about whether it accords with dress norms. You can have very soft colors, but it's not the default for a professional work wardrobe.

Tailoring is dying everywhere. But even in California, most people know that a navy coat is the default for certain work environments, whereas non-navy colors can be a "thing."

Perhaps it varies by region, I don't know. But I know professors who wear navy blazers and sport coats almost five days a week and it's just normal. Whereas, if they wore a green sport coat five days a week, it would seem off.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not about it being visually subtle, it's about whether it accords with dress norms. You can have very soft colors, but it's not the default for a professional work wardrobe.

Tailoring is dying everywhere. But even in California, most people know that a navy coat is the default for certain work environments, whereas non-navy colors can be a "thing."

Perhaps it varies by region, I don't know. But I know professors who wear navy blazers and sport coats almost five days a week and it's just normal. Whereas, if they wore a green sport coat five days a week, it would seem off.
Could be regional. I've noticed no one bats an eyelash in a bad way whenever I wear the first olive coloured SC up there, regardless of setting. Explicitly no comments, or only positive ones.

Wearing a navy SC seemed to elicit a negative statement whenever I wore one.

There sounds like a key difference maybe in how we wear tailoring though for setting: I'm not working right now, and only wear tailoring for random situations or going out to a restaurant, special family gathering etc.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Curious, what kind of negative statements did you get?
Mainly joking ribs about going off to boating school, or the age old security guard comment.

Nothing serious, but enough to put me off from switching to green SCs permanently.

Edit: I'll add that I have gotten positive comments on a navy blazer, but mainly from other people who are also heavily into clothing and style.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mainly joking ribs about going off to boating school, or the age old security guard comment.

Nothing serious, but enough to put me off from switching to green SCs permanently.

Edit: I'll add that I have gotten positive comments on a navy blazer, but mainly from other people who are also heavily into clothing and style.
Lose the brass buttons and sailing cap and you'll be fine :)

sensuki

Reaction score
Nice of you to post the pics!

This is from Spence Bryson (aks Ulster Weavers), right? At 240 grams this would correspond to the Dugdale Naturals collection, right (which is supposedly re-branded UW, acc. to group consensus)?
Isn't Dugdale Natural Elements 280grams per linear meter ?

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lose the brass buttons and sailing cap and you'll be fine :)
Yep, I swapped them out for light horn buttons.

May try navy SCs and blazers again in a couple of years, but for now I'm not interested in wearing them.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think DWW is correct about the relative invisibility of the navy sportcoat. You could wear the same one two or three times in a week, and most wouldn't notice. If you did the same with a green jacket, even a subtle one, I think people would either notice that it's the same jacket or would decide that you're the guy who likes green jackets.

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think DWW is correct about the relative invisibility of the navy sportcoat. You could wear the same one two or three times in a week, and most wouldn't notice. If you did the same with a green jacket, even a subtle one, I think people would either notice that it's the same jacket or would decide that you're the guy who likes green jackets.
Story of my life.

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
Why don’t you get something started with a mill? You’ll of course be public enemy No. 1 on the London lounge.

View attachment 1469360
View attachment 1469359

Dear @lordsuperb,

Do you happen to know and be willing to share the provenance of this cloth (brand, line/bunch), or is it actually LL?

Also, is this garment yours or a StyFo fellow's, or it was just a random image that captured your interest?

Best,

Dimitris

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear @lordsuperb,

Do you happen to know and be willing to share the provenance of this cloth (brand, line/bunch), or is it actually LL?

Also, is this garment yours or a StyFo fellow's, or it was just a random image that captured your interest?

Best,

Dimitris
random photo

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford