• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm debating having this lining, I like the dog/animal/nature theme. I've never had a cool lining before, so I don't know of the overall effect.

I wonder if it'd be too busy combined with the coat? Or does it not matter because it's just lining?

View attachment 1463972

@FlyingHorker
Curious; do you play Skyrim? Can all Horkers fly or are you unique?

Don't know if you should use this lining.
Personaly I think it's a waste. Like hanging art work in a closet

Use the lining to make a necktie and or a pocket square

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Made this one in 2012
It resides in Altadena CA. now.

IMG_0478.jpg
IMG_0434.jpg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If I were to use that lining, I'd do it for a very rustic tweed sport coat, not an overcoat.

I used to be against quirky linings, but no one really sees them anyway. Do it if it pleases you.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@FlyingHorker
Curious; do you play Skyrim? Can all Horkers fly or are you unique?

Don't know if you should use this lining.
Personaly I think it's a waste. Like hanging art work in a closet

Use the lining to make a necktie and or a pocket square
Amusingly no. I saw a couple videos about them years ago and the concept of a flying horker amused me, so I made this username. I like to think they can all fly.

I'm open to all opinions, as I don't know much about linings yet and trying to gather more information.

I don't have many opportunities to wear a necktie, but a bit more for wearing a pocket square. I actually don't own a single piece of artwork either.
If I were to use that lining, I'd do it for a very rustic tweed sport coat, not an overcoat.

I used to be against quirky linings, but no one really sees them anyway. Do it if it pleases you.
I think to myself I don't want something gaudy, especially compared to the bold overcoat fabric, but the bolded is a good point.

It'd be a nice personal factor I think whenever I put the coat on.

I'll mull it over.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Amusingly no. I saw a couple videos about them years ago and the concept of a flying horker amused me, so I made this username. I like to think they can all fly.

I'm open to all opinions, as I don't know much about linings yet and trying to gather more information.

I don't have many opportunities to wear a necktie, but a bit more for wearing a pocket square. I actually don't own a single piece of artwork either.
I think to myself I don't want something gaudy, especially compared to the bold overcoat fabric, but the bolded is a good point.

I'll mull it over.

i’m no expert but I don’t know that it goes with the color scheme of the jacket or the stylistic tone the piece.

I agree with @dieworkwear that would be better suited to a rustic country jacket.

Gladson has this more muted animal motif lining that I think would work better, or at least be less busy and probably cheaper

760E8CD4-E421-4BE6-90E8-1A1E88AAD5BB.jpeg

personally, I’ve ultimately regretted going with a ‘fun’ or quirky lining everytime except one (brown patch pocket tweed with a light blue paisley lining). conversely, I’ve never regretted getting a ‘boring’ lining. Just some food for thought...

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i’m no expert but I don’t know that it goes with the color scheme of the jacket or the stylistic tone the piece.

I agree with @dieworkwear that would be better suited to a rustic country jacket.

personally, I’ve ultimately regretted going with a ‘fun’ or quirky lining everytime except one (brown patch pocket tweed with a light blue paisley lining). conversely, I’ve never regretted getting a ‘boring’ lining. Just some food for thought...
Yeah balancing the "art" factor with actually looking nice with the colour scheme of the coat is a factor that has me hesitant on it. B&Tailor does that really well.

1600898741497.png

I was thinking of getting a more subtle, dark paisley lining that would likely look nicer in terms of contrasting the fabric of the jacket, but also be more boring.

I know full well of getting something exciting and then it actually ended up being a terrible choice though. Thanks for the perspective.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah balancing the "art" factor with actually looking nice with the colour scheme of the coat is a factor that has me hesitant on it. B&Tailor does that really well.

View attachment 1464082

I was thinking of getting a more subtle, dark paisley lining that would likely look nicer in terms of contrasting the fabric of the jacket, but also be more boring.

I know full well of getting something exciting and then it actually ended up being a terrible choice though. Thanks for the perspective.

just added a lining that I saw a while ago that has an animal motif but is more muted to my comment above.

I was thinking seeing if it is possible to get that lining in my upcoming grey herringbone tweed jacket, but that is on hold until Hemrajani Bros come out East again

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just added a lining that I saw a while ago that has an animal motif but is more muted to my comment above.

I was thinking seeing if it is possible to get that lining in my upcoming grey herringbone tweed jacket, but that is on hold until Hemrajani Bros come out East again
Couldn't find any online sources to buy from, only the images from Gladson, which is becoming a common theme from trying to buy online.

Yeah animal motif print sources in general would be nice.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Couldn't find any online sources to buy from, only the images from Gladson, which is becoming a common theme from trying to buy online.

Yeah animal motif print sources in general would be nice.

maybe see if your tailor can identify the swatch, I don’t know how lining books gladson has...could also reach out to Genuardi too

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
B&Tailor has cool looking hangers.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'll mull it over.

For what it's worth, every jacket I've made with an "interesting" or patterned lining I have eventually wished I had just gotten a solid color.

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
Dear @FlyingHorker,

The overcoat's lining is and will always be a permanent element of the garment.

Do not do something that you will regret in couple of years, so please stay clear of fancy or playful linings and go with a more conservative, yet timeless choice of a dark solid color.

I strongly believe that whimsical choices are to be confined to detachable, small accessories like pocket squares and/or cufflinks. If you fancy country or hunting themes and you would like a larger-area accessory, Calabrese 1924 have always such themes in their exquisite scarves' FW collections.

Best,

Dimitris

Encathol Epistemia

Reaction score

I've had a partially opposite experience. My first few commissions had solid linings that matched or at least were close to matching the fabric of the garments, but beyond those I've deliberately tried to make more audacious choices, which has been to my satisfaction. I doubt that I would ask for some of the more 'eccentric' linings that I've seen in Mr. Genuardi's books or try anything like this, but my most recent pair had colorful paisley linings that I've been pleased with and I have two more on commission with respectively a sort of bright floral lining for a blue-grey solaro suit and a sort of iridescent burgundy pattern for a hunter green barathea sport coat. Granted, of course, those are all pretty classic motifs, so I'm not going too far afield.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads