• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes merchants sell the fabrics 3 times more than the mills. Please let me know that price you get.
I ended up placing an order for the 720grams fabric for 4m.

The cost of fabric+shipping(which was hefty) came out to about $95CAD/metre for me, so about $72USD/metre. That's with UPS air mail I think.

Edit: I went with Marling & Evans.

Cloth on the far right

Last edited:

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@dieworkwear I remember you covered this, but I didn't understand it and/or don't remember.

Why on earth do companies like Fox charge 4-5x as much as someone like Magee or M&E? Something about buying directly from mills vs. merchants.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@dieworkwear I remember you covered this, but I didn't understand it and/or don't remember.

Why on earth do companies like Fox charge 4-5x as much as someone like Magee or M&E? Something about buying directly from mills vs. merchants.
I don't know Fox's pricing structure, so can't comment.

konstantis

Reaction score

The cost of fabric+shipping(which was hefty) came out to about $95CAD/metre for me, so about $72USD/metre. That's with UPS air mail I think.

May i ask which mill finally ?

zr3rs

Reaction score
The big names like Fox or Drapers do not want to undercut their tailors even if these upcharge significantly. I know the real price that my tailor pays to Fox and even with his modest upcharge (which I am fine with) comes out significantly less than the web prices. And that is for cut lengths. For small mills that mostly produce for merchants or MTM or RTW companies (on a full roll basis), this is less of an issue, they also have a much smaller stock typically.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which pattern did you choose ?
Far right
The big names like Fox or Drapers do not want to undercut their tailors even if these upcharge significantly. I know the real price that my tailor pays to Fox and even with his modest upcharge (which I am fine with) comes out significantly less than the web prices. And that is for cut lengths. For small mills that mostly produce for merchants or MTM or RTW companies (on a full roll basis), this is less of an issue, they also have a much smaller stock typically.
Ahhh ok, all of this makes complete sense. Thank you for the info.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice. It looks quite a bit darker than the silk blue cloth I posted, though, making it more versatile, I imagine.

I'm also pretty sure that's not you, right? Or did you ask your buddy to wear your suit and pose for the camera? :)
Couldn't find the pic when I originally googled.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

• Lego x Levi's