• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes merchants sell the fabrics 3 times more than the mills. Please let me know that price you get.
For sure man, I will keep you all posted.

Though I admit this bespoke cloth process has me annoyed at how indecisive I am.

Stanacle

Reaction score
How to become a member of Marling Evans and buy the fabrics from them?

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
Some images of the Drapers fabric:
WkogSdC.jpg

AnxVVdv.jpg

WWj6nd8.jpg

vCAiOkJ.jpg

hFmywgd.jpg

Compared to Fox Bros

dP3UQ5u.jpg

6dsD5wo.jpg

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
I ordered an overcoat in that one. Unfortunately, it arrived without lapped seams so it's getting fixed. When it's back, I'll post a pic.

Encathol Epistemia

Reaction score
Some images of the Drapers fabric:
WkogSdC.jpg

AnxVVdv.jpg

WWj6nd8.jpg

vCAiOkJ.jpg

hFmywgd.jpg

Compared to Fox Bros

dP3UQ5u.jpg

6dsD5wo.jpg

This happens to be sort of relevant to me. I'm thinking of having a paletot commissioned in a 20 ounce or so per yard black-and-white large herringbone akin to several of those cloths. I think that it might make for a very striking, quite warm coat, which Philadelphia winters and my occasional penchants for long walks might recommend.

emptym

Reaction score
Hi friends

I’m planning to commission a high twist spring/summer suit in light grey and I’m trying to decide between the following books. Appreciate any thoughts

- Smith Woolens Abacus
- Dugdale Tropicalair
- Standeven Explorer
- Fox Air (although mark up is nuts)

I also really like Drapers 4ply, but there doesn’t appear to be the right shade of light/silver grey.

Cheers!
Would recommend Crispaire. Decent weight for a spring/summer fabric, it drapes nicely and the bunch has a nice silver grey iteration.
I have a light gray Crispaire suit. It's almost 10 yrs old now, though, so I don't know if it's still available. They had two light grays one with a bit of a yellow cast and the other more neutral/silver. I have the latter one and like it a lot. Crispaire is great for a suit imo: good drape (as mentioned), wrinkle-resistant, durable, smoother and softer than fresco, lighter than finmeresco/Drapers 4-ply.

samtalkstyle

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a well-priced blackwatch fabric suitable for trousers?
Wanting some made up for evening wear.
They won't get worn often at all, so I don't want to spend too much on the fabric.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They won't get worn often at all, so I don't want to spend too much on the fabric.

You will need to check current pricing but Dugdale’s 6405 used to fit that description.

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score

Dear Sir,

Here below is a source found some time ago following the same enquiry for my son. An order was not made so unfortunately no experience to be shared, but they are manufacturers - and not just merchants - of tartan; a vast assortment of tartan fabrics and a quite old company too!

I am posting a link of the medium-weight blackwatch fabric that they produce at 13oz, they do have a lighter and a heavier version which have some differences in the design as well.

Cheers,

Dimitris

Petey

Reaction score
Hi friends

I’m planning to commission a high twist spring/summer suit in light grey and I’m trying to decide between the following books. Appreciate any thoughts

- Smith Woolens Abacus
- Dugdale Tropicalair
- Standeven Explorer
- Fox Air (although mark up is nuts)

I also really like Drapers 4ply, but there doesn’t appear to be the right shade of light/silver grey.

Cheers!

I have seen some nice suits made here in HK using the Explorer. It looks less proned to wrinkles

dan'l

Reaction score
What do you guys think of this cloth?

fe80094e-cbf8-40a1-9291-57c2375488a8-jpeg.1432786

It is 100% silk and I'd get it made up into a suit for special occasions (weddings, events, that sort of thing - not for the office). I'm wondering if the color is a bit too bright for my intended purpose, though. Any thoughts? @lordsuperb, I'm hoping to get your feedback on this!

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What do you guys think of this cloth?

fe80094e-cbf8-40a1-9291-57c2375488a8-jpeg.1432786

It is 100% silk and I'd get it made up into a suit for special occasions (weddings, events, that sort of thing - not for the office). I'm wondering if the color is a bit too bright for my intended purpose, though. Any thoughts? @lordsuperb, I'm hoping to get your feedback on this!
Don’t trust pictures on monitors to judge colors but the contrast of the navy ribbon against the cloth shows how bright and bold the actual color is. This shade of blue works well if you have a lot of red in your skin tone. Not as flattering if you don’t. Would wear this as a daytime suit but not really for dressy evening wear. There are exceptions for locale and formality of the event. Cloth looks like it will shift a lot when sewing. Ask your tailor how he liked working with this cloth after it is made!
Of course, would defer to lordsuperb’s opinion on this one.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Color reminds me of the girl who ate the blueberry candy at Willy Wonka's chocolate factory

TELEMMGLPICT000203547327_trans++pjgUWii3Gg7btOfu_iyOCUQeS2AxxEXRTxxhM0O9vD0.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads