• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for a good fall/winter weight flannel for a sport coat?

I don’t think I can bring myself to pull the trigger at Fox Bros price point (I’ll see what my tailor can get it for, but I’m not too optimistic it’ll be much cheaper...)
What are you looking for in terms of color/ pattern/ weight?

classicalthunde

Reaction score
What are you looking for in terms of color/ pattern/ weight?
probably leaning towards a winter standard navy blazer with patch and flap pockets, a distant second choice would be a larger grey PoW check with patch pockets

not sure how weight impacts warmth with flannel as compared to tweed, but would guess somewhere in the 370-500g/m range...would most likely wear between late oct and early March in the northeast

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
probably leaning towards a winter standard navy blazer with patch and flap pockets, a distant second choice would be a larger grey PoW check with patch pockets

not sure how weight impacts warmth with flannel as compared to tweed, but would guess somewhere in the 370-500g/m range...would most likely wear between late oct and early March in the northeast

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Porter and Harding glenroyal is what you want.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not a fan of using flannel as a jacket. Has a suit connotation. It has a fuzzy mill finish but no interesting texture for an odd jacket/blazer.
Doesn't work with that many types of cloth for trousers.
Navy flannel is a total lint magnet.

Loro Piana Jackets & Trouser book 685 has three good patterns to consider

Basket weave
Herringbones
Dense twill weave in 5 shades of blue. Color doesn't come thru well but you can see
the weave
LP Twill.jpg

W.Bill Phoenix book has good choices of Barleycorn pattern in a few navy shades

classicalthunde

Reaction score
Not a fan of using flannel as a jacket. Has a suit connotation. It has a fuzzy mill finish but no interesting texture for an odd jacket/blazer.
Doesn't work with that many types of cloth for trousers.
Navy flannel is a total lint magnet.

Loro Piana Jackets & Trouser book 685 has three good patterns to consider

Basket weave
Herringbones
Dense twill weave in 5 shades of blue. Color doesn't come thru well but you can see
the weave
View attachment 1440678
W.Bill Phoenix book has good choices of Barleycorn pattern in a few navy shades
thanks for the input! I really like that twill one!

I used to have a heavier doeskin blazer in high school that I wanted to try and re-create, but a little more on the casual and comfortable side

Encathol Epistemia

Reaction score

I really like the Bateman-Ogden Apollo book, which might offer something appropriate. I had my blazer made in navy twill, but they also have each color in hopsack and barathea weaves at 415 - 430 grams.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for a good fall/winter weight flannel for a sport coat?

I don’t think I can bring myself to pull the trigger at Fox Bros price point (I’ll see what my tailor can get it for, but I’m not too optimistic it’ll be much cheaper...)
Hainsworth navy serge

Crispyj

Reaction score
Anyone know where I can get a full list of Marling & Evans Natural bunch? M&E is on vacation until Aug 24th.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
thanks for the input! I really like that twill one!

I used to have a heavier doeskin blazer in high school that I wanted to try and re-create, but a little more on the casual and comfortable side
Loro Piana isn’t the only company making a twill cloth like this. You can find it in other lines. Drapers has it.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How did Covid-19 impact your personal style?

• My style hasn't changed at all.

• My wardrobe hasn't changed but I am wearing casual clothes more often.

• I invested in new good quality leisure and casual clothes.

• I invested in new sartorial clothes taking advantage of the sales.

• I purged my closet during quarantine and I have nothing left to wear.

Results are only viewable after voting.