• Welcome to the Styleforum Approved contest! This is a contest where everyone wins: in fact, every participant will get a (highly coveted) “Styleforum approved” bracelet to flaunt to your oblivious friends. The only thing you have to do is show appreciation for a member of the forum or an affiliate vendor.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My points exactly!

Differences with @dan'l 's case:

a) this is a suiting fabric, while Dan's is a jacketing one,
b) this is a mohair herringbone, whereas Dan's is a cashmere one,
and,
c) you already have an impressive 12-strong SBPL "niche" collection (and still growing!); does Dan really needs it?

Best,

Dimitris
If i can get the navy silk herring bone of @edmorel Im gonna add another one to the collection

ovlov

Reaction score
If i can get the navy silk herring bone of @edmorel Im gonna add another one to the collection
I've been eyeing that one as well. Perhaps if there is enough to go round we could make a single order to get it to Aus. With USPS what it is atm i couldn't justify any order from the States that didn't justify DHL.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A
I've been eyeing that one as well. Perhaps if there is enough to go round we could make a single order to get it to Aus. With USPS what it is atm i couldn't justify any order from the States that didn't justify DHL.
are y based in Perth?

dan'l

Reaction score
That cloth will never look like or be perceived as a suiting.
Peak lapels would contribute to a suit jacket look since peaks on odd jackets aren’t as common.
Besom has a clean non traditional look on an odd jacket over flaps. Flaps are fine but will look conventional. You seem to want this jacket to be set apart from normal navy jacket and use it for specific events.
I’m just digging the look of besoms on jackets right now.
If this were a worsted spun cashmere it would be a different case. Understand you perceive cashmere to be elegant but this pattern and weave don’t give off that impression.
Thanks Chris, really appreciate your insights and good advice.

I found another example from Sartoria Crescent which I find inspirational. Of course my fabric is different, but I like the configuration.

203E2205-97DB-4F22-9731-E6E37DB63E31.jpeg

dan'l

Reaction score
My points exactly!

Differences with @dan'l 's case:

a) this is a suiting fabric, while Dan's is a jacketing one,
b) this is a mohair herringbone, whereas Dan's is a cashmere one,
and,
c) you already have an impressive 12-strong SBPL "niche" collection (and still growing!); does Dan really needs it?

Best,

Dimitris
Valid points, Dimitris. I have two SBPL coats, but they both belong to suits. Never had a SBPL sport coat and was considering trying one. Also want something that’s a bit different from the usual SCs I wear during the day to work. I guess I was influenced by the SBPL discussion in this thread the past couple of months or so!

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
Dan,

I am glad that you have narrowed down what you are looking for; the above picture of the said (by Despos) SC is really nice, I think that you are going to have a great SC my friend!

Re: SBPL discussion
Well,..., it was a Covid-affected discussion!!!

Cheers,

Dimitris

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I
Valid points, Dimitris. I have two SBPL coats, but they both belong to suits. Never had a SBPL sport coat and was considering trying one. Also want something that’s a bit different from the usual SCs I wear during the day to work. I guess I was influenced by the SBPL discussion in this thread the past couple of months or so!
i would have a sbpl navy blazer but not a navy sc. looks weird imo. You’ll need a sleeker cloth. I suggest going brown chunky herringboneor cream linen/cavalry twill

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Huntsman had a sbpl 1b in navy serge with patch pockets which I thought looked rather sick

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^This
Not feeling this with peak lapels or the intended context of use. The cloth is lofty and will render a more relaxed casual feel, not an elegant evening jacket. This texture and pattern make a classy casual jacket.

Look at jacket styling of Corcos or Sartorio Cresent. Nice shaped notch, besom pockets, barchetta breast pocket.
I'd do a 2/3 roll, notch lapel as well.

But, I've never been into a peak lapel jacket - always seemed off to my eye.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think if you’re gonna do a sbpl 1b odd jacket it really is a night out jacket. You’ll need to go for the monochrome look. It will look weird in the morning. Would not get it in tweed either. If you wanna go rustic go heavy hopsack

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I‘m getting this made up next:

View attachment 1432695

It‘s a navy blue herringbone in 100% cashmere from a random mill in Biella. I plan to get a SBPL sport coat, most likely with a single button. What do you guys recommend for pockets? I want a normal, welted breast pocket, but should I go with flapped, jetted or patch side pockets? The intended use is for evening wear, e.g. to a nice restaurant or cocktail party.
1596222562930.png

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Seersucker?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Face Masks: Pick Your Favorite (Choose 2)

• Disposable surgical mask

• White cotton mask

• Linen-lined mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of suiting fabric

• Patterned mask (checks, stripes, fun print, etc.)

• Solid color silk mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of tie fabric

• Sports mask made of synthetic fabric

• Denim mask

• Face shield

Results are only viewable after voting.