• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

pics and pricing.
and what is the kirgyz book like?

Kirgyz is so awesome it comes in a box not a book. :D

I'll put pictures up tomorrow if I get chance.

The Golden bale is the same color as the one shown here but it's new so it has a different selvedge:

http://davidreevesbespoke.wordpress.com/2012/02/19/whats-a-weekend/

It doesn't photograph well though as its just a very dark charcoal, really English, really nice, quite soft but sturdy.

I'm keeping the Loro Piana.

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score
Anyone here have experiences with H. E. Box's suiting? I've heard they have/had 18 oz worsted. It appears they have a suiting book called Sterling Classics. Any experience? Yachtie?

I know their bedford cord and keeper's tweed, and have seen and heard about their wide range of cavalry twill. All good stuff.

Last edited:

unclesam099

Reaction score
Is there a repository of links to online fabric stores?

I am getting into MTM and can supply my own fabrics.

I am also headed to London in a few days and is there anywhere in particular that I should visit to pick up a length for an odd jacket?

I'm a ~42L, how much would I need for trousers, a jacket, a 2pc suit, or a 3pc suit?

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is there a repository of links to online fabric stores?
I am getting into MTM and can supply my own fabrics.
I am also headed to London in a few days and is there anywhere in particular that I should visit to pick up a length for an odd jacket?
I'm a ~42L, how much would I need for trousers, a jacket, a 2pc suit, or a 3pc suit?

Online fabric stores:
The ones that really matter are Minnis, Dugdale and Harrison's. There are also various small scale tweed producers in Scotland and Ireland, and companies like Fox or Marling&Evans for flannel. Use Google.

There are, as far as I know, no worthwhile fabric stores in Central London which will have a better range and lower quality than on-line, but I'm happy to stand corrected..

Trousers: 1.50-1.75m., 2pc suit: 3.50m-3-75m, 3pc. suit: 4m.-4.50m. depending on pattern, but always ask your tailor first.

fox81

Reaction score

Online fabric stores:
The ones that really matter are Minnis, Dugdale and Harrison's. There are also various small scale tweed producers in Scotland and Ireland, and companies like Fox or Marling&Evans for flannel. Use Google.
There are, as far as I know, no worthwhile fabric stores in Central London which will have a better range and lower quality than on-line, but I'm happy to stand corrected..
Trousers: 1.50-1.75m., 2pc suit: 3.50m-3-75m, 3pc. suit: 4m.-4.50m. depending on pattern, but always ask your tailor first.

the fox site is ok. they'll send you a swatch or two if you ask nicely as well.

there are a few fabric shops on regent street, as well as joel and sons in nw1. never, ever pay the retail price on fabrics for these stores. you can still visit places like holland and sherry, scabal and dormeiul on (or around) the row if you call in advance. they might not sell directly to you but can help show you some stuff if there is something specific youre after. i understand you can do the same at w. bill as well

Last edited:

hst

Reaction score

Online fabric stores:

I always have problems with the pictures of the cloth swatches loading in my laptop. Notwithstanding this, I didn't see how one could order directly from the website like in the case of Dugdale and HFW. I would appreciate if anyone could point me to how to order online from Harrisons.

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I always have problems with the pictures of the cloth swatches loading in my laptop. Notwithstanding this, I didn't see how one could order directly from the website like in the case of Dugdale and HFW. I would appreciate if anyone could point me to how to order online from Harrisons.

U.S. customers can call the distributor, Isles, and order via phone. Ain't cheap.

terrorsquad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
U.S. customers can call the distributor, Isles, and order via phone. Ain't cheap.

What is the price like for U.S customers say for the H.Lesser 8/9oz per meter?Just wanted to know whtether there is a significant difference for the Harrisons and H.Lesser cloths between U.S prices and prices for the rest of the world since Isles is the distributor in the US.

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What is the price like for U.S customers say for the H.Lesser 8/9oz per meter?Just wanted to know whtether there is a significant difference for the Harrisons and H.Lesser cloths between U.S prices and prices for the rest of the world since Isles is the distributor in the US.

About $170 / yd.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Minnis is part of a group of companies owned by Huddersfield Fine Worsteds. You can order fabric from their website, and they currently have an offer on the Minnis Crown Classics range of business suitings, as well as some discontinued lightweight spring and summer suitings...

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the UK, the SFT will cost you about £50/m. I take it the US distributor wants their mark-up too... It's an amazing cloth though, but I have head good things about the Dugdale NFW as well.

Last edited:

terrorsquad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Lesser in the US costs double then in the UK. This linen would be my summer suit though thinking of putting it up on B&S

and some unfunded liabilities, including the tobacco Minnis Fresco ordered from Slewfoot

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads